Jim Bowen

Thread repair, Exhaust stud holes.

Just fitting a couple of studs the engine and one of them wouldn't torque up, just spinning in the hole in the head :(

Is it possible to fix this with a helicoil? Hopefully i can source one tomorrow or thats me buggered :lol:

I've ended up ordering a thing called a Wurth Timesert, meant to be a lot better than helicoils, just expensive. Hopefully i'll only need it once then i can sell it.

Was one of the exhaust stud holes in the head, if you are looking at the engine from exhaust side its the bottomest rightest hole.

The stud seemed to fit in ok, but took some force to get it in far enough and once i put the manifold on it just kept spinning round. I might of got something stuck in the hole while cleaning that stopped the stud going in, not really sure. I'll fix it though. Didn't fancy a helicoil in the end as this option seemed the best.

I've used timeserts before to fix a bike frame. They're way better than helicoils.

I'm a little concerned about my drilling and tapping capabilities, Drilling is one of them things i never seem to be able to get right, usually go all over the place and staying straight is hard :lol: Went through my finger last time i used a drill :(

Either type would work fine for an exhaust stud - they're only inserted relatively loosely, not under mega-tension like head bolts are. If you're not 100% happy doing it then you'd be much better off asking a local machine shop nicely and offering them a tin of biscuits to do it over the lunch break. Not worth (further) damaging a head in the learning process...

Stone

Did it myself, wasn't as bad as i feared.

Bad Hole

20130529_174353.jpg

Make hole bigger with drill

20130529_174904.jpg

Hole is bigger

20130529_175009.jpg

Counterbore the hole

20130529_175201.jpg

The hole ist counterbored

20130529_180855.jpg

Make new thread in the hole

20130529_181226.jpg

New thread ist in de hole

20130529_181617.jpg

Screw in ze insert

20130529_181825.jpg

Use special tool to wind insert in and lock in place, ja!

20130529_181955.jpg

Insert is inserted

20130529_182423.jpg

Worked really well and i managed to do it all myself without cocking it up any further. The insert stuck out about 1mm and didn't sit flush, this was because the insert tool hit the back of the hole. I sorted it out though and manifold is on.

Good stuff! I used normal helicoils on a couple of my exhaust studs and they were fine for 60K miles. Those time serts do look the business though.

Good work! I've had very mixed results tapping things so I'm glad it worked out ok :)