howlingvr6

Door won't shut

As mentioned on the title, I took the driver door lock and handle off yesterday as it was a bit sticky and needed some lubing up. When I put everything back in place the door lock mechanism would not lock around the strike pin and the door bounces back open.

I tried for 4 hrs to get the thing to work but it won't lock in to position, I have checked the mechanism is working by pushing a screwdriver sideways in to it and it latches around no problem, I also tried a spare mk2 golf lock onto the pin and the lock latches around. Its as if the pin is too far in and is not quite making its position to totally lock .

.totally baffled as this is not brain surgery any suggestions would a great help

ps I have moved the strike pin in all positions to get it to work

Edited by howlingvr6

You've probably got the door handle in wrong, they're ultra-picky. Had the same issue several times and it was always the door handle not the pin!

Double-check you have the white plastic piece fitted to the frontmost of the door handle holes (if not, take the door card off, you'll hopefully find it fallen to the bottom). Without that C-shaped piece the front of the handle won't seat correctly. Then make sure you have the central locking cable routed around the striker in the right way - IIRC it has to run under the actuator pin? It's possible to have the striker sitting slightly too low (in contact with the lever?) which causes it not to latch around the pin. Have you got both the rubber gaskets fitted to the handle correctly?

Also try rolling the handle around its own axis slightly (in line with the fixing screw on the inside edge of the door), if you're lucky you should hear it ping free and then it'll work. Whatever you do don't shut the door with the fixing screw inserted but protruding, you can get it trapped without being able to open the door from either side! You shouldn't have to do the fixing screw up incredibly tight, just enough to hold the handle in the right position. If you do it up too tight it can jam. Yes, it's incredibly frustrating!

Failing that, you may have some luck slamming the door and keeping pressure from your hand on it as it closes? Mine's still not right but I've given up on it...

Stone

Finally got it to shut before the rain started....You're right Stone they are picky !! The small LH screw is done up but not to its full tightness. If I tightened it up all the way the symptoms persist, I slackened it off about three turns and the door locked, so I loctited the screw in that position.

It seems perhaps that the white nylon plunger that's connected to the door handle is possibly touching the lever on the lock before you actually pull the handle which is stopping the locking function of the lock. Perhaps this lever needs bending down at a later date. I am happy now that I can actually use the car but will have to fine tune the mechanism at some time in the future

Many thanks for the very helpful info to you both

Live long and prosper

Lang Lebe Der Corrado!

Glad you got it sorted! I'm on my fourth driver's side handle now :bonk:

It seems to work best with the locking screw slightly undone, as you say - you're right about it prematurely pressing the lever, even with a replacement stainless striker they don't improve much. Between that and the other two common faults (snapped striker and getting the lock cable caught in the mech so it sticks in the 'pulled' position) they're pretty much useless. Not sure why they changed from the Mk1/Mk2 Golf style - fixed body with a moving lever inside it which you pull to unlatch the door - they obviously realised it was a bad design as the Mk3 ones are totally different!

I'm ditching them and going for Audi A6 handles once I finish fixing my engine..!

Stone

[edit: actually, from this it looks like Mk2 Golf handles might be a straight swap. Anybody tried it? Would be a lot more robust with only the lever moving and not the whole handle...]

Nice one Stone.. as you said the screw is best left a little slack... I am thinking about slightly modding a Mk2 lock to fit the Corrado I think the only difference is the shape of the 2 levers that are operated by the key-lock and the door handle...will keep you updated.

As you mentioned the washer Supercharged ! If you mean the one tha'ts on the small LH screw.. yes it is on, so thanks for the heads up on that !!!

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Nice one Stone.. as you said the screw is best left a little slack... I am thinking about slightly modding a Mk2 lock to fit the Corrado I think the only difference is the shape of the 2 levers that are operated by the key-lock and the door handle...will keep you updated.

As you mentioned the washer Supercharged ! If you mean the one that's on the small LH screw.. yes it is on, so thanks for the heads up on that !!! Or am I missing something??

Once again thanks to all for the help!! :-)

Edited by howlingvr6