Managed to get a hold of a set of genuine Golf mk3 anniversary VR6 HT leads which had done very little mileage as a spare set thinking the red would look good but I don't like the look of them that much as it doesn't really go with the cars colour.

Just wondering If the red leads are any better than the standard Corrado ones?

Also what mileage do the original leads tend to stop working at?

I prefer the look of the red ones, fancy selling them on?

not sure what mileage they do but its usually carelessness when removing them that gets them first.

Oh right okay, thanks. Yeah I would have sold them on but as I was cleaning them up today to take a picture for you I found an area which is chafed on lead 3. It isn't even halfway through but the car it came off of was running fine. The damage is only a small area where the lead goes into the spark plug hole so it isn't visible when they are connected. All other leads are in great condition and the visible part of the damaged one looks good too. I can take a picture of them and a close up of the chafed one if you are still interested?

They tend to fail based on age rather than mileage, like most rubber or plastic parts particularly those which get very hot. And of course bad treatment such as pulling them off without the proper tool will damage them too.

The damage you mention is probably about the worst place it could happen, as the weaker insulation is at the point where it is closest to an earth leakage path.

Best wishes

RB