VR6Pete

Steering Rack part #

What would be the part number I'd need for a new steering rack for my corrado vr6 (l plate)

Cheers.

Pete

Might aswell list all the racks, just incase its of help to anyone else...

RHD (non VR6) 1989 to 1992 = 192422061P (has 36 splines where column UJ attaches)

RHD (non VR6) 1992 to 1995 = 192422061K (has 22 splines where column UJ attaches)

RHD VR6 = 1H2422061A

The early non-VR6 one is just the same as a Mk2 Golf 16V, and the VR6 one is shared with Mk3 GTi/VR6.

Its just that late non-VR6 one which is a bit of an odd ball, as only seem to be on Corrados even though they have a Mk2 Golf looking part number.

Ahh. Great. Where is best to pick one up from? I don't fancy VW prices but been stung with GSF ones in the past!

Powerracksdirect.co.uk

Thats where i got mine from

Can i ask how much you paid for it?

Thank's that's not a bad price seen other's around the £250-£300 mark.I have just registered on powerracksdirect just waiting for approval.

I had a feeling it was trade only :( Ah well there is a place in glasgow that rebuild them I'll give them a try.

You can buy a rebuild kit from VW for the ZF VR6 rack. A couple of bearings, some seals and things. I paid £80 for it a few years ago. I never fitted it, so I can't tell you what's involved I'm afraid.

It's all refurbishers usually do, and then spray it black. The actual rack and pinion themselves rarely wear to a very noticable degree, unless it's a 200K mile old one. What happens in most case is a seal goes. Usually on the offside. The gaiter will slowly fill up with PAS fluid when this happens, so keep an eye on your fluid level and see if your steering is heavier in one direction than the other.

Pretty sure mine still has the G60 rack I also read in Stoney's build thread that he had got a rebuild kit to do his if he did do it I am not surprised it's leaky considering he put the brake caliper's on upside down :thumb right:

My seals are fine, its just heavy to turn to the right side, turning left is really light.

Could be a kinked hard pipe on the rack or most likely the internal seals on the rack.

I started to put together a step by step of how to take a TRW rack apart and replace the seals if you fancy having a go at it yourself, No special tools needed.

Cost me about £38 for a TRW rack internal seal kit from VW, and a few quid for rack boots.