Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Got the VR6 in, driving impressions.....

Well, after a 4 week total strip down and rebuild of my car, I finally got it going on Wednesday night, and I’ve managed to rack up 560 miles since then!

First a bit of background, just to let you know what I’m used to and to give you an idea of what I’m comparing the car to. If you already know, then skip this part.

I used to have a mk2 golf 1.8 8v. I had a 2.8 VR6 fitted in this 5 years ago. It lasted a year then dies due to cam chain tensioner wear and ultimately failure. I fitted a 2.9 VR6 to it and ran it for about 3 years as a daily driver, show car and sprint car. Managing a best of 14.74 in it before the diff pin let go and destroyed the bell

housing, diff and clutch. So, I had the 6 speed built up for it, with the peloquin diff and syncro bell housing and 3.94.

I got bored with fixing that shell up, so I bought another 2.9 lump and threw that in a tatty old stripped out mk2 purely to test out the gearbox and the Schrick manifold (which I had lent to a mate for almost a year as I didn’t have a VR6 on the road). This was a pure track and strip toy. Awful as a daily driver, having no heater or carpets, just a seat and the driving controls. I ran this for 6 months and clocked a 13.74 ¼ mile in it with a 2.034 60’, but never managing to crack the 100mph trap speed.

START HERE-------------------------

Anyway. The engine out of the first car, is now mated to the 6 speed, and in my corrado, along with the other mods in my sig, currently running in 2WD format.

My first impressions were not good. It felt really flat, like it was running on 5 cylinders. Then I found but the gear linkage needed adjusting, as I was pulling away in 3rd! Immediately I could feel the loss of torque, as I’m running a stock 2.9 manifold at the moment, as the schrick is off for polishing. It’s not happy at all sitting at under 3000rpm, and I can’t cruise in 6th at 70 and accelerate smoothly without changing into 6th. I’m attributing the lumpiness to the 6lb flywheel. I really wanted a 9lb one, but after a lot of messing around I had little choice but to get the 6lb one as it was all I could get hold of. I knew it would make the idle feel lumpy, but I didn’t expect this to extend right up to 3000rpm! I hated it at first, but now I’m used to it and I actually love the character it’s added to the car. OK, so it chugs a little at low revs, but I’m hoping the vgi will iron that out a little, but it’s all worth it for the sound. At idle, it sounds like a V8, and really gets people looking and think (WTF IS IN THAT!), then when you pull away it’s like a WRX! But with the added top end howl that any VR6 with a decent filter and exhaust can make.

The vibratechnics mounts are great. You only get a little bit of vibration in the cabin when the car is chugging at low revs in high gears (which can be avoided of course)

The ratios are still perfect, even with the heavier car. In fact, had I not gone for the 3.94, I think I’d have hated it, and I don’t think the flywheel issues could have coped with the long gearing of the 3.3 R&P. Also, the shifter is a LOT smoother in this car, so I may give the B&M shifter one last try before getting rid of it.

Of course, these were not ideal test conditions. The engine hasn’t been ran for 2.5 years, the car still has a full interior and there was 2 of us in it, complete with luggeage, a full size 16” spare wheel, a trolley jack, and a large metal tool cabinet. For this reason I didn’t sprint it. Weigh saving is definitely an issue and something I’m looking towards addressing next.

I’m guessing it’s a good 40% heavier than my last car, which is why it’s not feeling anywhere near as quick. Plus, the exhaust is only a temporary fix and needs upgrading.

I’ll run it at York next week and let you know the times. I’m predicting about a 14.4 at best.

I forgot to mention the handling!

The turn in is AMAZING!! those TAS top mounts make a MASSIVE difference and are definitely the way to go on a VR6. Having the ATB diff back in the car is also a welcome return, and I haven't managed to get a squeak out of the front tyres yet except in 1st gear.

I've ran VAG-Com on it, and all it flagge dup was a dodgy ABS sensor, and the fact that I'd cranked it over with no Crank sensor plugged in, and without the lambda, so I'll clear those and all should be fine.

:notworthy: You are the Corrado Messiah, liberating us from the dullness of standard manifolds and gearboxes, and ulimately responsible for us lot skinting ourselves :lol:

Excellent work mate..... enioy the fruits of your labour 8)

K

LOL! I wouldn't go that far! but cheers for the comment. It's taken me 3 years to finally shut people up about the myths of VR6's not handing (especially the mk2's). it's a glorious engine, I worship it, it's my mission to teach the vw modding world not to overlook it in favour of the 1.8T.

Funnily enough, since I bought my Schrick and never stopped bleating on about how good they are, the used price of them has doubled! I see so many of you are happy with yours. Now go get your gearbox done.

Stealth Racing should be giving me commision for all the business I've swung his way in the last year or so!

I can't see too many people buying the lightened flywheels though.....well. not until they hear my VR, it's insane!! talk about a head turner, I swear people thought it had a V8 in it.

I love it to bits (I just wish it was faster!). Bring on the weight saving and the nitrous.

Well until you joined up, no one was particularly interested in VGIs, then you told us about the Group buy and the rest is history, same with gearboxes, think a few of us have now gone down that route, so credit due where it's due mate 8)

I've always been a believer in VR handling too, but you just can't convince some people. A lot of people told me when I first got the VR that all the weight up front + FWD = understeer central. Absolute rubbish. Only Stealth and some people on the forum knew otherwise. My Subaru WRX driving mate cannot believe how well mine sticks to the road, for *any* car, let alone a FWD one and it's shown his car up on a couple of occasions round the bends, especially in tightening bends where Scoobs tend to understeer. A 25mm Neuspeed rear ARB + standard front ARB = phenomenal grip :mrgreen:

The Corrado VR6 was always regared (and still is) as one of the best handling FWD cars ever built. All it really needs is the diff and a lsightly lower final drive and it's perfect, it doesn't really need modifying.

But, seeing as we can't leave then alone, I suggest you try a torque biasing diff and some TAS top mounts, f*cking awesome!! the turn in on mine is so sharp it scares me! I keep having to correct my steering because I'm turning in too hard (expecting it to understeer a bit) and making the rear end step out.

You really need to try this gearbox of mine, you really do. it might have cost £2600, but it was worth it.

Oh, and I did metion that I'll be fitting 4WD too didn't I? :lol: speaking of which, nice syncro install on the car on the club stand by the way, very neat, the panel worked looked factory.

Yeah I saw that 4WD on the CCGB stand, awesome. Guy Hartley's wasn't too shabby either!

The finances need some recovery time and then the gearbox mods will be looked into :lol:

You think the turn-in is good now, stick a Neuspeed bar at the back :mrgreen:

yeas, it's a syncro back axle, that's what they're all ike. It'd be pretty hard to do 4WD without going to IRS.

Paul,

Did you manage to speak to Ben ? I know he & Paul (who's also doing a 4WD project) were interested in meeting with you

John

I saw the car early on, but didn't find the owner unfortunately. I only got to speak to Mike Edwards out of all the Corrado club guys. I spotted Alex Pose Gil I think, but he dissappeared by the time I went over (mut have seen me coming!).

I wish we'd spoken before the meet mate, as I also wanted to finally meet you. Oh well, there's Stoner Park & GTi Festival to come :)

I wanted to get my car on the club stand on the sunday, but I 'm not a member, and I didn't know who to ask!

Shame I didn't get around to meeting you paul as it woiuld have been good to have had a chat! (the guy with the 4wd corrado on the corrado stand :? ) Ben

Yeah, we only came over really early on saturday morning to see Mike abot the Schrick which my mate was buying off him, but I couldn't see anyone near any of the cars! I meant to come back later in the day but just never got round to it as I spent most of the day being rang up and told to "come and have a look at this" by all my mates....

I'll catch up with you all at another show.