petemcr

Engine noise, any ideas?

Had this noise start on my VR quite some time ago, replaced the exhaust manifolds and gaskets which were looking worn, however it didn't cure the problem so I was forced to SORN the Corrado and store it at a friends

Now got a MK5 GTI but I still miss hitting 50mph and knowing something at the back of the car has just changed, so I went and started it today in hopes to find out what the issue is and try and get her back on the road for weekends

This is the sound it's making, it did do it intermittent, but now it does it all the time

Any ideas what it could be would be great, as it's no longer a daily I can start to try different bits

It does sound as though you've got a exhaust blow from a gasket or from exhaust down pipe a little lower down.

Did you use genuine manifold gaskets as they are a bit thicker than some of the after market ones.

Check that you can't feel any exhaust fumes from both the down pipe jointings = (where down pipes bolt to manifolds)

because it does sound like it's coming from that area.

Si

I think it running ok was what made it harder to locate, I've never been so happy to see a damaged head gasket.

It was going to be a quick replacement and get it back together job but it's turning into a bit of a build now with a few parts going off to the powder coaters

Topman you've found what it was then :thumbleft:

Hope the rest of the build goes alright.

Si

Yea finally got to the bottom of it, cheers for the advise Si

Got a few bits back from the blasters, trying to decide what colour to go with on the inlet, I was gonna polish the faces but I think I'm gonna keep it one solid colour, it looks brand new at the moment though

Before

enuseryn.jpg

2anyry8a.jpg

ysapupa6.jpg

After

a5e2yvy7.jpg

ysy8egyn.jpg

u5uqydet.jpg

I was expecting to see some bore wear but it's really good

Ok, sorry for not reading through the later posts before posting. Looking forward to new posts about the build!

No problem man, you're right though, blown head gasket