P3rks

VR6 exhaust sound / Aftermarket Exhaust - G60 onto VR6

Im just discussing with a friend the moment regarding the sound of my VR6 exhaust. Most, if not all VR6's have that unique burble. Nice and deep with a laziness about it.

Mine on the other hand sounds raspy, eager and sounds unique in its own right. It still has that sixpot sound, but it just doesn't sound traditionally VR6; like its missing something.

When I bought the car it was fitted with a VR specific Magnex system. It did sound like a VR should. I then fitted a 6-branch, de-cat and my G-Werks stainless system from my old G60 that I broke - The exhaust system was fitted to the VR as it had early and late hangers and its a very good system. Now I know the system changed the sound.. But, back to the point. Will the G60 system be restrictive on the VR6? I would have thought a boosted 1.8 will create similar exhaust gases to a N/a VR6 but my friend thinks the VR will produce more. Also I'm unsure whether the G-Werks system was G60 specific or just Corrado specific and suitable for all engines. Thoughts?

Just a small question.....but why did you remove the VR specific magnex system? was it faulty?

Im unsure for certain but i would have thought an exhaust should be properly matched to the engine it is fitted to :s

6 branch and decat are why yours will sound more tinny/raspy. De-cats not worth it IMO and I think the 6 branch as been proven to make very little difference as well. Bore size, silencer size and tailpipe all have a lot to do with noise.

Std systems were not that restrictive and are 2.25in bore I think. 2.5in is probably as big as you would want to go on an N/A engine.

---------- Post added at 2:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:14 PM ----------

6 branch and decat are why yours will sound more tinny/raspy. De-cats not worth it IMO and I think the 6 branch as been proven to make very little difference as well. Bore size, silencer size and tailpipe all have a lot to do with noise.

Std systems were not that restrictive and are 2.25in bore I think. 2.5in is probably as big as you would want to go on an N/A engine.

Just a small question.....but why did you remove the VR specific magnex system? was it faulty?

Im unsure for certain but i would have thought an exhaust should be properly matched to the engine it is fitted to :s

Nothing wrong with the Magnex at all. The G-Werks is rarer and the quality it second to none; plus I preferred the tailpipe. Personal preference really.

what is the bore of the exhaust?

2.25" I believe. So same as standard.

---------- Post added at 2:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:14 PM ----------

That's good to know! Suppose each set-up will have its own character.