Sign in to follow this  
choumbie

My Car Doesnt Shift Into Second Gear...

Welllll, im having some problems getting my car into second and fourth gear...And now it doesnt go into either...So i checked out the shifter tonite and i found that it was missing a circlip on the horizontal shaft that the shifter attaches too...The shifter would almost slide off on the left side....So i bought a circlip for that and put it on...Now it doesnt move left to right...But it still doesnt go into second gear at all... Has anyone had this problem? Is there a way to fix this, or should i just bring it somewhere? :x

I had the tensioner spring problem as well. At least I think thats what you're talking about.

In regards to second and 4th gear not working right, I know the 2nd gear synchro is known to go, but since 4th is gone as well its probably just in need of a linkage adjustment.

Check out this thread

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6305

is there any easy way to go about making this linkage adjustment....Im not too saavy with cars...Any instructions or directions?

its pretty easy.

When ya look under the hood look just behind your battery and down to the left and you will see the linkage.

Mark where both of the bolts are at before you move anything.

loosen but do not take off the bolts!

proceed to move them around until ya find it feeling better. ( for me I had to move them both to the front of the car to get it feeling slightly better... it is different for other people though)

Each time you go to test it remember to tighten the linkage first!

It helped me slightly although I think my shifter has other issues now =(

Here is a pic of where it is

Hm ill have to give that a try...maybe its too loose for me or something...I can pull all the way back where second is supposed to be...as far as the shifter goes...and it doesnt even grind gears anymore...It just doesnt go into period at all...The engine just revs... Do you think that could be due to having those bolts too far back?

Could be man, only one way to find out, just make sure ya mark things so if ya need to you can go back to how it was

Alright...well ive tried adjusting the two bolts multiple times...It seems as if i have the right settings...I can easily get the stickshift to move into the gear positions...but when i try to put it in second and fourth...the stickshift slides right back into neutral....any ideas?

2nd and 4th? Sunds like only the cable closest to the wing (which is operated by moving the gearstick forwards and back) might need adjustment as from the descriptionyou are not getting quite enough travel to get into gear..

Alternatively, how old is the gearbox mount?

does it shift into 2nd if you work the linkage by hand in the enginebay?

i can get mine working by loosening the bolts...wiggle the shifter around and let it sit ,then carefully nip up the bolts

it gets it working

Yea the car shifts into second just fine if you do it by hand in the engine.. I think i may have found the problem? The shifter cable attached to one of the bolts seem to bend when i try to put it into gear...Could this be the problem?

Yes there is grinding when i try to get it into those gears...after adjustments are made and i test drive it...It shifts into second fine the first time shifting up...But after that, its impossible to shift down into second, or even start from first and shift into second.