fredfelcher

Rotrex chargecooling and mapping questions (VR6Joni, you there...?)

I installed my C30-84 last year with the RRFPR and ran it like that for a while but then invested in some Saab Turbo Bosch 360's and dumped the RRFPR. I did the CrazyDave 10k pot trick as well and this has resulted in a perfect idle (around 650rpm, pulsewidths 0.8ms, AFR 15) so I'm happy with all that.

What I'm not so happy with is intake temps of around 55-60 when doing 70 on the motorway (2800rpm) on these warmer days, and even higher when I 'press on' a bit, so I'm thinking of trying to cool the charge.

It's a Mk2 VR6 (hope you C guys don't mind!!) so not much room for air/air IC and would prefer the more efficient water/air anyway. I'm impressed by the PWR/AVT barrel coolers and wondered if anyone knows what size would fit between the charger and the TB (it's OBD2). I PM'ed Lizard Racing on VR6OC but don't think he visits much anymore...

Also, I've been going mad trying to eliminate knock at around 2800rpm and up on WOT (especially transition from mid to full throttle when accelerating from around 3000rpm) - the knock sensors are pulling plenty of timing according to my VCDS logs, up to the '15' limit occasionally... I've got a socketed ECU and have burned many chips with different 'maps'; I've got the fuel trims just right for low rpm using my Innovate LM2 in the exhaust (no cat to mess up results) but doing 'on road' testing and logging doesn't give much scope for lots of full throttle runs (I value my licence!) and VCDS logs so slowly with so many measuring blocks at once (for injection period, rpm, knock, lambda - why couldn't they have just one block with it all on?!?). It's quicker if I log with the LM2 but of course I only get Engine Load % this way, not injection time ms which is on the map axes and haven't found a reliable way to convert... WinOLS has plenty of timing maps to tinker with, and I've fiddled with the main ignition map, but wonder if just the air temp correction map would be better, or some combo - I noticed that there's much less knock, if any, if I boot it when the engine's just warmed up but the IAT hasn't caught up, ie early on in the trip. BTW it's a 1.8T relocated just before the TB to reduce heatsoak and for more rapid response.

I've toyed with standalone but it's expensive and car would need to be off the road for a while (it's a daily); I could just take it to Stealth, but I'm a stubborn git and want to understand, rather than just throw money at the problem!

So in short:

- Anyone know which PWR/AVT chargecooler fits a Rotrexed VR6, or is there another good option?

- Anyone got any help/guidance on the knock issue (eg how much advance to take out and in which map)?

If you read this far then thanks for persevering!