VR6 Lee

Replacing rear ABS sensors

Just wondering is this a hard job, do the sensors just pull out of the wheel from the rear and plug new ones in.

Hopefully it is a nice easy job for me and my bro (:p)

The sensors tend to seize in place over time..

Couldn't get mine out without knocking it with a hammer, which broke it in two, then using a few other tools to chisel/drill/remove it.

It's a 'fun' job ;-)

Essentially yes the rear sensors just plug out and the new ones plug in.

But they will be seized.

I recommend lots of soaking in WD40 or similar. Heating the stub axel up. Then hammering the old ones out. They will be stuck good and proper though. If you don't want to ruin the old sensors find a socket which is just big enough to fit over the magnet of the sensor but small enough to touch the base of the sensor. It'll give more even distribution and shouldn't cause damage - plus it's easier to do it this way and you won't have to clean up. Use the socket method to put the new ones in; mine needed a gentle tap to put them in place. Remember to clean the inside and outside of the sensor hole first: clear it of rust. Use a small file or sand paper/wire wool. Or better still, a small wire wheel attachment on a drill for easy work.

It's an easy, but not a fun job - very messy.. Expect Lots of swearing.

Enjoy :)

Edited by P3rks

Fantastic job then...not!!!!!

I take it I can do this while the discs/calipers are on the car???

Just easier to smash the old one out and buy a new one. Took me about half hour per side.

No, callipers, carriers and discs off.

You need the discs off to gain access to the front of the sensor. You need the callipers and carriers off to get the disc off.

I actually had to spend hours drilling one carrier off as both bolts rounded off completely. I recommend heat and lots if WD40 again.

If you don't have a blowtorch now is your time to invest. :lol:

I did mine this pass weekend, but ended up replacing the rear stub axles and back plates so was an easy job. All new parts :)

Got one sensor out. Tried to fit new sensor but wouldn't slot in so had to hammer the sensor in a bit but wouldn't go in

Ended up breaking the sensor. Is it meant to be a tight fit that you end up hammering sensor in????

Oh dear..

Yes, mine was a tight fit too, so after I removed the old one, I got a file & gave the hole bit of a clean.

And put some copper crease in there, for good measure.

Bought myself some sensors off ebay, a pair for £8, instead of the rip off dealer price (something like £30+ for each one IIRC)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PAIR-VW-GOLF-MK3-III-MK4-IV-BORA-1-6-1-8-2-0-1-9TDi-FRONT-ABS-SENSOR-A4041-/111083141537?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19dd1239a1

Just to let you know, dealer price is £99,95 plus VAT

WTF!?!

They live up to their name then, $tealers....

That's insane, the sensor is essentially just a magnet and some plastic :lol: