daniboy1_2_3

9a engine haynes/workshop manual

Hi there, ive just bought myself a 9a engine which i believe were fitted to some corrados. Its to replace a KR engine i have and is to be the basis of a 16VG60 engine build as ive been told the 9a is a better block to use. I have a workshop manual for the KR which goes into great depth, full strip down/ rebuild/ testing procedures and i wondered if anything was available like this for the 9a engine.

When did this engine first come into production and what cars were fitted with it?. Would my KR workshop manual be of any use or are the blocks too dissimilar for it to be relied upon.

Haynes 1647, Passat 88-91 is the one usually recommended (and I own). There are other Haynes Passat manuals (covering more models) but my suspicion is that others have less info on the 9A than 1647. This certainly applies for Peugeot/Citroen Haynes manuals-my friends ZX manual has more info on my Pug diesel engine than my Pug 306 manual.

As above Ebay advert

Edited by bmwcompact

I thought there might have been a workshop manual produced by vw with all the rebuild and testing information. I have one of these for a kr engine, thought there may have been something similar for the 9a?

I thought there might have been a workshop manual produced by vw with all the rebuild and testing information. I have one of these for a kr engine, thought there may have been something similar for the 9a?

There may be a few in the hands of enthusiasts, but most will have been binned by vw dealers, the genuine workshop manuals for the UK were for dealers only and run to folders and folders worth of separate system manuals, every now and then and individual section comes up on ebay. I have one covering the 9A alternator, some of the related electrical system and cruise control, nothing very useful though :lol:

9A/6A and the related 8v blocks 2E,ADY and probably others are all basically the same and closely related to the earlier 1.8 8v and 16v engines. It's really just the block casting that changed giving it a bigger water jacket (hence the nick-name 'bubble block')

Most of the KR manual info would apply to the above engines, you might find slightly different piston oil squirters and other very minor changes like the oil pump drive gear off the intermediate shaft, but I don't think any torque values change. I've currently got a 6A engine that was dismantled and rebuilt in my (originally) 1.8 16v corrado and I had a bored 1.8 to 2L in there before, used a comnination of the pink haynes and 1.8 8v vag engine manuals for that work.

Edited by davidwort