renson

Not the usual door handle issue

So i went to the car this morning and managed to pull my drivers door handle off the car. I can see whats happened, its broken where the screw goes into the rear to secure it so its not fixed at the back now and just pulls out. I know its now a complete replacement handle but my question is are the handles sided?

In typical fashion i have a spare passenger handle..... however i also have a spare drivers door repair kit. Can i make 1 good drivers handle using these parts??

Also with the handle floating about and very easy to remove, how easy is it for someone to get in?

Regards,

Darren

The handles are handed I'm afraid as are the repair kits.

As for how easy is it to get in with that screw missing? - It's very easy.

ahhhhh...... poo :(

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:30 PM ----------

dave16v..... i have a repair kit i brought from you i think (was off this forum a few years back) don't have the instructions though. Managed to find an old broken drivers handle. Its not broken like mine is now but it wasn't the lever that was the only thing broken thats why i didn't use the repair kit. Where its broken is the outer loop where you put the screw for it to pivot correctly. Any ideas if i could modify this even for a temp fix till i can find another replacement?

Edited by renson

Its the hole where the piviot pin pushes through.

Thinking if i tap the hole then nip it up with a plastic washer between it it just may work.

Just got to swap the key barrel out which doesn't look too bad, Take its just a case of pulling the c clip off and swap it.

Take the c clip off to get the barrel out but you will need to swap the lock tumblers to match your key. This might mean buying or scrounging them off here.

could i not just use the barrel/tumbers from my lock currently in the door??

Yeah I would think so but be careful when dismantling the tumblers as there are tiny springs in the barrel.

will do :) thought it would just be swapping like for like no messing lol. I'll dismantle the spare first, just in case i balls it up. is there a how to anywhere on here?

Sorry to be a pain

Oop sorry, lead you up the garden path slightly last night...........damn alcohol!

You can just swap over your lock barrel by inserting the key and removing the circlip on the back, then pull the key out with the barrel.

With the replacement handle you need to remove the barrel without a key, same again just remove the circlip and if I remember correctly the barrel will come out without the need for a key.

Now insert your key/barrel into the replacement handle and re-fit the circlip.

fair enough lol. drinking on a school night tut tut tut :)

I think i have keys for both handles so.............. wish me luck.

Just modified the replacement handle and used your kit which was spot on thanks, it now seems to function as it should but the test will be on the car if it can hold up i suppose. Now just need to remove the screw from the door which is badly mangled so that gonna need drilling out on my lunch.

Not sure if its a left or right hand tread so i'm probably going to retap the thread in the replacement so i can get it all done today.

well it worked :) i now have a door i can open without the handle falling out lol. Thanks Dave.

Only issue is that the central locking doesn't work off the key. TBH i can't remeber if that was a faulty handle or not but it works off the remote and drivers door so i can live with it like that for a while