DiamondTony

Mint Green Corrado 16v

Hi all, picked this Corrado up for nothing (swapped for an estate passat with no Tax...).

As you can see it's MINT GREEN!! I love the colour, but it's love or hate to be honest haha!

Anyway, mechanically the car was poor when I got it as previous owner didn't look after it - but I have loads of service history and receipts from the other owners (one was a woman since 1992 to 2006 - no expense spared). Electrically, everything except the mirrors worked when I got it, including the spoiler and sunroof. However, since then the spoiler now intermittently works (not bothered at moment) the sunroof leaks and the interior is shoddy.

I had running issues with pressure losing, and cold start not working. I had to keep the revs high in traffic or it would cut out, however I have sorted all this now, new plugs, new distributor and rotor arm, and a full set up of the cars engine. Also added a new fuel line hose.

I have gotten a new custom built stainless exhaust system fitted now too from Tony Banks in Leeds - sounds amazing now.

I have just bought new wheels for it too, with adapters, so new coilies needed with some rear camber shims for a nice stance.

Also should have a 20vt engine in it at the end of the month - I will update when the mods begin!

20130615_201415_zps37eb5c1e.jpg

20130614_063052_zps0a3dcada.jpg

Wow that's on hell of a colour.

Is that a factory finish or a custom job?

It's a custom job bud by previous owner, I love it but it's not the greatest paint job! Going to get a blow over done but with some silver metal flake for added shine ;)

That's been on this forum before!

How long ago bud?? I have had this about 2 months now and posted it in the newbie section when I got it? Came from Cornwall - utter dogsh*t when I got it though, runs sweet now after some hard work and patience :)

Right so my photobucket still isn't working but I got the app for my phone and uploaded via that so I can show how busy I been this month!! So firstly I stripped the top end of the motor down to check all the seals/gaskets and replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, got a new exhaust system - fully custom made by Tony Banks in Leeds, gives it a real nice tone, and had the settings done properly at my mates garage for the 16v lump. Still idles like a bugger when cold though :(. Anyway, I tarted up the interior with a good clean and added a period MOMO steering wheel from 1990 - will be for sale soon ;) - and I love the pool ball haha!! I've rewired the sound system fully so added new wiring and got new door speakers in the doors, and also wired in the rears. I bought some door cards to make the interior a lot nicer, however they were for a LHD model... so I'm on the look out for some more ;). This last week has been a bit of a b!tch to be honest. Was forced to mount the curb by an emergency vehicle, as there was nowhere to pull over to let them pass, this caused the bumper mounts to snap on the N/S and burst my tyre, bend the inner track rod arm, and bend the steering rack... It's currently in the shop having them replaced - thought I'd get them to put my G60 brakes on while I'm at it!! Got some new coilies to put on it, new wheels, and it's having a 20VT engine put in this weekend coming. Pics to come!! I'll keep you all posted ;)

20130708_171101_zps04842ed5.jpg

20130708_171053_zps9f8bbf01.jpg

All back together

20130708_214616_zps78a0344a.jpg

New exhaust - so much nice to look at as well :)

20130722_152035_zpscc96fb8b.jpg

New badges attached too

20130719_173427_zpsaac2014f.jpg

Got some pressed plates as well to neaten overall appearance

20130807_163915_zps7a859b4a.jpg

New wheels, Kercher Carmona's 7.5 fronts and 9 rears, wrapped in nearly new hankook tyres

20130810_142514_zpscaed53b5.jpg

New TA Technics coilovers as I'm on a budget

20130821_153430_zpsda6dc720.jpg

And this came the other day, VR6 carbon kevlar clutch and lightened G60 flywheel for the new engine

20130821_153728_zps1d990769.jpg

Got my G60 discs too :)

20130829_162740_zps91ebea95.jpg

I had my exhaust fitted at Tony Banks about a month ago, I went for an oval tailpipe too. It was also a horrible DTM system that was taken off and replaced.

I had my exhaust fitted at Tony Banks about a month ago, I went for an oval tailpipe too. It was also a horrible DTM system that was taken off and replaced.

Mine had about 5-6 weld patches in it too, urgh... disgusting things haha

To be fair mine wasn't too bad, it was a Scorpion system so the quality was decent, sounded good too, but the design is so bad. Always felt that anybody driving behind me must have thought I was a chavvy boy racer!

I know mate, I was gonna get rid of it, but moved the schedule up as it was blowing really bad haha!! Gonna get it in the shop again Saturday for the engine to be done and then it's all about tidying it all up :)

May take a while as I'm doing my MK2 Golf as well ans £££££ is an issue!!

How much will the engine conversion cost you? Something I'm thinking of for the future but don't know if I can justify the cost as mines used as a daily so bodywork is quite tatty overall

Well luckily I know a few people etc etc so I'm having the Audi A3 engine supplied and fitted for 900 :) proper good deal. Only issue I got is my bonnet cable snapped other day as well... fml lol!! He's gonna fix that for me, as I managed to get a new one :)

F*€%#ng hell that's cheap! I'm expecting that I'll have to pay around the £2k mark at least! Might just stick with my little 8valve engine until it goes bang and then decide from there

Yeah it's good to know people!! I can pass you his number? He's in Bradford though. He's got an s3 engine he's taken out of his old car, running 240ish bhp... I'm getting the 150 remapped, running 197 currently until I hybrid it and swap a few bits out to get 240 :)

Yeah that'd be fantastic, I'm in Bradford too so that's handy. Be good to have someone on my doorstep who knows there stuff, does he have his oen garage business or is this something he does in his spare time?

I try to do as much as I can on the car, but with thr hours I work nowadays it's not really possible, plus I'd never be able to handle an engine conversion! Don't suppose he does bodywork as well?

He does it in his spare time pal, he's breaking 2 Audi's and he drives a proper mint s3. I can help you with a guy who does body work etc too, I know a few people who do all that stuff, and I know a guy who's got his own paint shop (he's spraying my MK2 for £500 - full windows out job the lot). I'll speak with him and ask him what he's doing with that other engine, if he's got time etc I can pass you his number to see when is good. Not sure how much he'll charge for that motor though.. I know the guy who owns OCDD garage in Leeds, and the guy who owns Novaks Kustom Industries. You in any clubs or owt mate?

To be honest the motor will be on standby for a while, I'm doing a fair few miles and fair few hours for work at he moment so the little 8valve is quite good at keeping petrol costs down! Also I couldn't really afford to have the car off the road for any length of time at the moment.

A contact for bodywork would be really appreciated, there's a hole in the body on the rear panel in front of the passenger side rear arch. It's been badly repaired at some point in its recent past and the filler is starting to crack and come away from the body, so that is going to need sorting out. May look into a blow over spray job too, if I can get something sorted cheap enough.

Not in any clubs or owt, wasn't aware there was anything local to be honest

There's tons of local Yorkshire ones mate, Bradford and district VAG club, I'm a member of Bradford based VAG Squadron, my local club I'm in is Just dubs uk, and there's Leeds Dub Nuts too. They have meets too buddy, VAG Squadron is usually middle of the month on a Monday, there's 3rd Sunday of every month at 1pm which is Just dubs uk meet, 1st Sunday of the month is Leeds Dub Nuts meet - just thought too, west Yorkshire dubs have a meet in Ossett 2nd Wednesday of the month too.

Novak does all sorts mate, if you ring him and ask him, he'll do basically anything - got my MK2 MOT'd there etc. Or there's OCDD.

I'll PM you contact info dude

Thanks for all the info, I'll maybe try and get along to one of the local meets, ok just to turn up at these things? Seems like a good way to make contacts, need all the help I can get keeping Corrados on the road!

Yeah mate, next meet I know of is Sunday 15th September at the Old George (Miller and Carter) in Leeds, Garforth roundabout, LS25 1NB. If you turn up you'll have a good time, and there's tons of guys there who know their stuff. That's for the Just Dubs meet, but the guys from Bradford usually convoy down too so would be good to come and get some contacts!

Thanks mate, I'll see if I can get along. Usually play footy across in Huddersfield on a Sunday so I'll to see if there's a game on first.

So I bought some Powerflex top mounts for when I fit the new coilies when I have the new engine in. Fingers crossed she'll be back tomorrow with a new steering rack and balanced wheels, and my 280mm brakes fitted! I will be uploaded some engine build pics as and when I begin this week coming :)