Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Gearbox re-conditioners?

Can anyone recommend a good gearbox rebuilder thats familiar with Corrado 'boxes?

How much would I be looking at, and whats involved in a typcial rebuild?

Do they just replace the synchro rings, or do they replace bearings and other worn parts?

Cheers.

Another shout out for Vince at Stealth. He's the man for 02A rebuilds.

You're looking at around £400 I think. That's for new seals and bearings, whatever else is worn will be extra, but don't quote me on that, ring him and check for sure.

And get a proper diff put in there whislt you're at it too.

£400 is a pretty darn fair price.. I always imagined a gearbox rebuild would be a £1000+ job.

Good old Stealth Racing..

That's right Phat, Vince's price is for a rebuild (bearings, synchro cones, thrust washers, seals etc etc) and assumes the actual gears themselves are OK. If they're chipped or too far gone, their will be additional costs as you say.

He's done a couple of 020 boxes for me in the past and they feel better than new imo.

K

yup, another vote for Stealth here too! 8)

Dunno what he does to 'em (other than what is stated above!) but the box feels soooooo good now, much better than a new one IMHO! 8)

I take it at that ~£400 price, it doesnt include the labour to remove and refit it... heh.

HA! no.

get another box, and take that up there.

Then swap them over, and sell your knackered one on ebay.

Thats not bad, I was expecting synchro cones to be an expensive extra.

It's good to have some testimonals too, I've heard a few horror stories about recon boxes. I don't think I could stretch to a quaife diff though, whats up with the standard diff(apart from its tendancy to self-distruct!)? Can the standard diff be improved any while the 'box is being rebuilt?

Cheers

IIRC Steath's rebuild price includes removing the rivets from the standard Diff and replacing them with uprated bolts which will prevent their tendancy to grenade... 8)

There's nothing actually wrong with the standard diff (once the rivets have been replaced!) it's just that an LSD is soooooo much better! 8) It gives improved traction in all conditions, better pull around corners, and totally transforms how you can drive the car... 8) (yes, I'm starting to enjoy mine now my engine is bedded in! ;) )

Yeah Vince does replace the rivets with bolts. He's a top man.

Incidentally he told me he's only personally tended to a handful of 02As with sheared rivets, but the 020 box was notorious for it.