EmGreenVR6

Alternative to Koni STR.T suspension kit

Hi all,

I have a broken front spring on the old Spax kit that was on the car when I bought it - the springs were not evenly compressed and it rode very harshly, so we always planned to change the suspension but now it's urgent!

The Phirm (who are local to us) recommended a Koni STR.T kit, as we wanted decent ride comfort and handling (wheels are originals). I've tried ordering it but apparently Koni are changing their products and there is a 6 week wait (at least). The car is up on axle stands and we really want to get it sorted.

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative to the Koni STR.T kit? Good everyday ride quality on normal UK roads (which is to say bumpy ****e) and a reasonable stance on the standard Speedlines.

Thanks in advance,

Em

I know i always go one, but the KW Variant 2 kit is second to none if you have the money to spare, if not the variant 1s are also awesome

Anyone? I really would like to get the car back on the road. Alternatives at a similar price range seem to be the Spax VSX and Weitec Ultra GT kits.

Thanks!

Hi, can I ask what you eventually opted for. I am considering the koni set up, so would like to hear you comments.

Hi, we waited the 8 weeks for the Koni STR.T setup. They are on the car, but we have also stripped and repainted the brake callipers and done CV joints/boots and some interior work, so the car is still on rear axle stands. Going to bleed the complete brake system today, then wheels on and to The Phirm for suspension setup/MOT once the new front seats are in.

Car should be back on the road hopefully in the next month, so will give you some feedback then!

Emma

An update...

Suspension setup, MOT passed and the Corrado is back on the road! Obviously not the best conditions atm, but I've been impressed with the Koni STR.T suspension (granted I only have some shagged 10-year-old Spax kit to compare it to...).

It's riding a bit higher than the Spax kit, the reduction is 30mm from standard, which I think looks OK and is much more useable than it was. Feels firm but compliant over our rough local country roads, very nice on better quality surfaces and the handling is absolutely fine and predictable at speed. No awful crashing over bumps and potholes, and speedbumps are no longer fear-inducing.

For the money I'm very happy with the result. Hope this is helpful.

cheers,

Em

An update...

Suspension setup, MOT passed and the Corrado is back on the road! Obviously not the best conditions atm, but I've been impressed with the Koni STR.T suspension (granted I only have some shagged 10-year-old Spax kit to compare it to...).

It's riding a bit higher than the Spax kit, the reduction is 30mm from standard, which I think looks OK and is much more useable than it was. Feels firm but compliant over our rough local country roads, very nice on better quality surfaces and the handling is absolutely fine and predictable at speed. No awful crashing over bumps and potholes, and speedbumps are no longer fear-inducing.

For the money I'm very happy with the result. Hope this is helpful.

cheers,

Em

Do you have the part numbers for the Koni STRT that fit the VR6?