scorrado123

Treasured VR6 written off! :( Advice needed to restore

Hi all,

So last saturday while driving along a dual carriageway (in the left lane) all of a sudden a car rams into my drivers door sending me spinning 180 degrees and ending up facing the wrong way in the right hand lane!! Scary stuff especially with my 14 month old in the car too! Luckily no major injuries, but alas the car is about to be written off due to the damage.

As you can see the damage is to the drivers door the sill, the area where the door closes on to, the rear arch and the rear drivers wheel.

Any advice or initial thoughts on the best way to try and get her restored to her former glory?

Best case scenario in my opinion is that there is not too much damage behind the bent rear wheel which is repaiarable (this could be key), a new door and a bodyshop to repair the rest of the mishapen areas (sill etc).

Anyone have any experience of dealing with anything like this, or simply thoughts when looking at the pics. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Gutted...[ATTACH=CONFIG]75319[/ATTACH]

Argue with the insurance,when mine was hit,I met with the estimator with a file of reciepts because of the age,and rarity of parts I was allowed to use 2nd hand parts.

Mine was damaged on three sides,and even using 2nd hand doors,rear lights and corner panel it was estimated at 5.2k.

3rd party admitted responsibility,and I do have agreed value,BUT my insurance company was never involved

Check my link to see pics of damage

Argue with the insurance,when mine was hit,I met with the estimator with a file of reciepts because of the age,and rarity of parts I was allowed to use 2nd hand parts.

Mine was damaged on three sides,and even using 2nd hand doors,rear lights and corner panel it was estimated at 5.2k.

3rd party admitted responsibility,and I do have agreed value,BUT my insurance company was never involved

Check my link to see pics of damage

Great outcome Dragon, well done!

I dont have agreed value, so have no idea what they are going to try and fob me off with. So am I right in thinking you were paid by the insurance company and got the parts/work sorted yourself??

Hope you and the family are alright. A collision at any speed is not an enjoyable experience.

The car though doesn't seem that bad.

Second hand door.

Rear quarter and sill look like they could be pulled out, filled and painted.

New wheel, or wheels if you can't get one.

New hub, bearing, shock, topmount.

Hopefully it hasn't damaged the rear beam, but even if it has, you could one of these easily and cheaply enough. Chance to change the rear bushes at the same time.

Labour and paint.

If I was doing it I reckon about £1000 max (and that's worst case scenario). Using Febi parts and budgeting for OE wheels and a second hand door/beam.

There could be other hidden issues underneath, but on the surface it doesn't seem too bad. It could have been a lot worse.

Hope you and the family are alright. A collision at any speed is not an enjoyable experience.

The car though doesn't seem that bad.

Second hand door.

Rear quarter and sill look like they could be pulled out, filled and painted.

New wheel, or wheels if you can't get one.

New hub, bearing, shock, topmount.

Hopefully it hasn't damaged the rear beam, but even if it has, you could one of these easily and cheaply enough. Chance to change the rear bushes at the same time.

Labour and paint.

If I was doing it I reckon about £1000 max (and that's worst case scenario). Using Febi parts and budgeting for OE wheels and a second hand door/beam.

There could be other hidden issues underneath, but on the surface it doesn't seem too bad. It could have been a lot worse.

Wow that sounds very reasonable!! When you say 'if I was doing it' is this something that you do??

Thanks!

I went through a third party (QDOS) on advice from the bodyshop (which I chose) and her insurance paid for it,but as I supplied the 2nd hand parts,new headlights,rubbers etc,there was enough money in the pot left for a complete respray

My car was booked into the said workshop for a full respray,and a week before it went in,it was hit!

When I rang them to cancel my booking, they put me in touch with QDOS,I didn't pay a penny,and got a hire car.

It didn't affect my insurance at all

Anyone know if I could use a drivers door from a K plate 16v on my M plate VR?

Yes,externally the same,internally a small bracket difference(for the inner handle)

I have one early and one late on my car

Yes,externally the same,internally a small bracket difference(for the inner handle)

I have one early and one late on my car

Would I be able to transfer the leather door card etc from the VR door to the old 16v door? Or would it just be better for me to get a second hand door from a VR?

Thanks.

With regard to the insurance claim, did they pay out the agreed value that you had with your insurer?

Wow that sounds very reasonable!! When you say 'if I was doing it' is this something that you do??

Thanks!

I meant that if I personally were doing the work, and not putting it through the insurance.

What I was trying to get at was that the parts are available (all be it second hand) so don't let them write it off or low ball you on a salvage price.

Regarding any repair quote, it's the labour that'll make the quote go through the roof, hence why I say "doing it myself".

Sorry but having two Corrados is enough of a battle for me, without taking on a third. Though we're always around for the odd question.

I meant that if I personally were doing the work, and not putting it through the insurance.

What I was trying to get at was that the parts are available (all be it second hand) so don't let them write it off or low ball you on a salvage price.

Regarding any repair quote, it's the labour that'll make the quote go through the roof, hence why I say "doing it myself".

Sorry but having two Corrados is enough of a battle for me, without taking on a third. Though we're always around for the odd question.

No worries James, just thought I'd ask ;)

My first issue is going to be trying to ascertain the extent of the damage being unable to drive the car anywhere. First port of call will be my neighbour who is also my mechanic to see what he thinks.

Thanks for the advice, no doubt more questions will follow!

Go with the K plate door,you have your door to take off the small bracket,(IIRC it's pop riveted on) it's only a five minute swap !

My agreed value is 5k,because I had we'll over 20k in receipts,a lot of parts all ready for my planned respray,the independent estimator valued mine more then the insurance valuation.

When the estimator looked at my car,the interior had all ready been stripped,I wasn't at fault,she admitted to the police she swerved for a cat !

There was no way I was going to let them write it off

Go with the K plate door,you have your door to take off the small bracket,(IIRC it's pop riveted on) it's only a five minute swap !

My agreed value is 5k,because I had we'll over 20k in receipts,a lot of parts all ready for my planned respray,the independent estimator valued mine more then the insurance valuation.

When the estimator looked at my car,the interior had all ready been stripped,I wasn't at fault,she admitted to the police she swerved for a cat !

There was no way I was going to let them write it off

Thats the one good thing in my favour. The other driver has admitted complete liability in the matter. Their insurance want me to email them pictures (so they can write it off no doubt), maybe I should insist on an assesor coming out??

If you could meet the. assessor,you have more chance of talking him around.You could use the argument of its rarity,to use 2nd hand parts(what you could supply !) if you stress how important it is to you,and you don't want a Cat C,and the fact the accident was caused but someone else,

Go for it

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO not a DBP mate you have to do your best to talk them round the car is rare in this colour :brickwall:

Sorry to hear about this. The main thing is that everybody is okay. However, I understand how much you want to keep the car. From experience (not Corrado though), I'd expect the insurance to have a limit on how much they'll pay - market value of a replacement car - but that's NOT book value. I'd echo what others have said - use second hand parts and try to speak to the assessor directly. You might end up having it written off but keeping the salvage - there's certainly no reason you shouldn't be able to keep it as salvage if it comes to that. But basically, fight for what you want, and fight hard, don't give up. If you feel you're not getting anywhere write to the MD/CEO of the concerned insurance. It's clearly not your fault, and your not meant to be out of pocket. But I'll repeat, I think you'll struggle to get them to pay out more than the market value of a replacement - so do your homework and find comparable for sale ads for your car - as good or better. Good luck - hope it works out for you in the end.

Thanks for the support and advice all. This is my second rado in dark burgundy pearl definitely my fav colour too!

I'm trying to arrange to get a couple of estimates for the work needed so that I can let the insurance know, which they have said I can do. Just wish I could drive the car to make it a bit easier to get some!

May bite the bullet and get it towed if it comes to it, although hopefully I should be able to get a couple of mechanics to give me prices using second hand parts.

On that note, I take it the rear axle and rear subframe are not the same thing?