Sign in to follow this  
reg

which would you choose?

hey guys,

i've been hunting down every C since i arrived on this forum on autotrader, fish4, trade-it blah blah blah :D

anyway, i'm currently close to looking at 2 .

1 is a 1993 L 2.0 16V with 100k on the clock. FSH, cat 1 alarm, in midnight blue and up for £2600.

the second is a 1995 M 2.0 16v with 105k. FSH, cat 1alarm and midnight blue and up for £3500

first is dealer, second is private. they are both quite a way from me but seem pretty good and are the spec i'm looking for.

what do ya think?

93 one seems priced about right - I got mine last year - Kplate on 84k in Dark Burgundy Pearl for £2500 - which was a bargain - good nick too except for the wheels.

Best of luck. :wink:

so thats you two and my g/f thats said go for the L reg!

may just have to give them a ring and arrange a viewing time :)

thanks guys!

You cant tell unless you've seen em. If the cheaper one is in the same overal nick then theirs no arguement. leaves you a hefty sum of money to spend WHEN it goes wrong. If you take the view that its going to go wrong and nothing does then its surpassed your expectation. If it does go wrong its met your expectation.

If you go into this thinking its a Vdub and nothing's going to go wrong with it, then it has the chance to let you down. The warranty mave be full of holes so watch for this. Fundamentally its a 11+ year old car. But one of the absolute best , all comers included. Great choice and welcome to the fold.

I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but the questions to ask before travelling are around service history & condition of bodywork / interior. This will tell you if it has been looked after.

Cheers.

thanks storm, i've only ever owned beetles up till now and am fully aware of vw's :D ;)

from the pictures i've seen it is a very clean car. inside and out and is currently getting the sunroof fixed.

i'm taking the checklist i d/l of here to help me through looking over it.

if i get there and it doesn't turn out as i expected then i'll only have wasted some petrol getting there so its no big loss in the sum of things!

you shall find out tommorow whats gonna happen as i've booked myself in for a viewing in the morning.

:!: :)

make sure you look at few before you buy. That will give you a feel for what you are looking at. From bitter experience it is very easy to get it wrong. I thought I knew what I was doing and bought a lemon Mk III GTI once.

its good! bodywork and interior are mint.

sunroof is being fixed at the mo and the only other bad points are a cracked front foglight and the centrla locking doesn't work off the remote.

however, there were 2 keys, 1 for the door and one for the ignition.

the brakes need doing as the pedal was a bit spongey and the discs were pretty worn but it did have a full MOT. doesn't pull or judder under braking or steering.

its been lowered with new springs and the old ones are included. a nice ride!

drives really well around town and there are no squeaks/ rattles/ knocking coming from anywhere.

but i can't buy it as my rents have said no until i get rid of my beetle which is an arse. still, like you said, i have time to look around - i have much experience of buying lemons and i wish to stop that! :D

so, look here, page 4 for the car:

http://www.infinityautos.co.uk

:)

its good! bodywork and interior are mint.

bad points are a cracked front foglight and the centrla locking doesn't work off the remote.

however, there were 2 keys, 1 for the door and one for the ignition.

:)

looks decent enough for the dough..............fog-lights are gonna hurt you money wise as they are near on impossible to get hold of 2nd-hand so its either the $tealer or GPC for them but the cheapest will be over £50 :shock: ,the C/L could just be something as simple as a flat battery in the remote,and the 2 keys could be just a previous owner fitting either a new handle or ignition switch(probably the former :roll: ) and not using the existing lock,the only thing that in my opinion doesnt do it any favours is the grey interior.....but this is just down to personal taste,other than that it looks decent enough :wink:

there were 2 keys, 1 for the door and one for the ignition

Thats not really a problem, its dead easy to re-tumble the door locks.

I had to do it to mine, drivers & passengers, because the handles had been replaced.

About half an hour each side. :)