st4stokie

Valve stem seals on VR6

Could anyone tell me if its possible to change the valve stem seals on the VR6 without removing the head. Know its possible on some cars but not sure on the VR Think the plugs are getting oiled up and causing running issues on the VR I've just brought, there is a lot of paperwork with the car that says its had misfire issues and they've been sorted by cleaning the plugs up. So I'm thinking the stem seals are worn and causing oil to get through :scratch:

You can but you normally have to supply high pressure air into the spark plug hole to keep the valve's up. TBH I would complete a compression test 1st to see how everything else is standing up before deciding what to do.

I did my stem seals not long ago, but wished I had done valve guides too.

Vince @ Stealth says they would usually need doing after 80k

I'm on 119k now and it's burning oil pretty quickly but bottom end is fine.

Pete

Stem seals will only be worn by high-lift camshafts squashing them, extreme age or ovaled valve guides - only one of which will be solved by replacing them without getting the head off.

If the engine's stock it's probably the valve guides so you should do those to save you having to do it all again later.

Stone

Thanks for the advice I'll get it pressure tested see how it's looking car has done 160k and stock guides are probably pretty worn by now. Really dont want to remove the head as there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with that (if it ain't broke don't fix it)