MurdoMac

Silicon hose question(s)

Had a water leak which I traced to the engine-heater matrix pipe which had split, it was a easy fix just cut it back and reattached it however on inspection some of the other pipes look like they need replacing and so am considering a full silicon set.

Started looking but am getting comfused 1. is there any real difference between the various makes Samco/Verair ets 2. Just exactly how many pipes do I need, I thought 9 (VR6/Manual/OBDII leaves 1 not used)but some suppliers seem only to have 7 others 10, and 3.where is the best place to get them, thanks.

I recently went through the same problem when one of my heater hoses started leaking. There are 7 water hoses on the VR6, but most silicon hose manufacturers also include the inlet breather hoses in the kit, making it 9 or 10 hoses.

I heard of a couple of people having problems with Samco's after having them fitted for a while so I went for Roose Motorsport hoses as per the group buy on here, and I have to say the quality is excellent. Roose will supply you with whichever hoses you want, I went for the 7 water hoses and only one of the breather hoses as I have a BMC filter so didn't need the others. With Roose you can also ask for no branding on the hoses which is what I went for.

Roose Group buy hoses:

RooseVR6hosesGB.jpg

Unbranded Roose:

DSC00390.jpg

I've had Samos for over 10 years now on various VR's. never had a single problem.

Thing that put me off the roose was the plastic connectors on the top water pipe, bound to go brittle with age.

You will also need to get hoses for the oil cooler as these dont usually come with the samco kit.

I've seen an awful lot of Samco hoses with splits/bulges in. Could just be because they're likely to be a lot older than the Roose ones (as they've only been available recently) but they don't use as many plies of reinforcing material between the layers of silicone. You also have to wait ages when ordering them if they've not got any Corrado ones in stock, as they make them in central Europe somewhere and there's a long waiting list. Roose produce within 3 days.

Lifetime guarantee on Roose hoses makes the plastic connector moot - Samco only offer 2 years limited warranty.

But Samco are cheaper. You pays your money and takes your choice :)

Stone

I've had Samco on all sorts of cars, including a 340bhp Octavia that had the conversion done 10 years before.....hoses were fine and that car took a beating every day.

I am about to replace a samco with a roose hose. Bought the two rad hoses as my samco one has split inside and been a right ****ter. Leaking everywhere.

Ok so from the posts so far Samcos would seem to be of variable quality, roose pipes have not been uesed enough to make an informed review, so anyone have expeience with Venair?

Fitted my Roose top hose at the weekend, i like the little 3 way split as it helps when allowing for the mk4 header tank conversion, no need to extend a hose, can just use one single length of longer hose to the T piece.