mlr55

Painting door trims, advice needed please.

I want to paint my door trims/rub strips as they have faded with age, iv tried detailing products but they loose the effect quickly. Removing them completely is not an option as the doors have been painted with them on by the previous owner (D'oh!).

Has anyone done this before or could advise me the best method for doing this? Also I want to keep them black so what's the best colour to go for satin/Matt/gloss?

Thanks Martin

I had the same problem as the door strips were badly faded compared to the wing and quarter panel. I simply masked up the complete door wing and quarter panel, using masking tape and newspaper, leaving only the bump strips exposed. I then thoroughly cleaned the bump strips with two pack thinners on a grey scotchbrite pad. Once dry I gave them a coat of plastic adhesion promoter on a soft cloth, this ensures that the paint will take properly. The final step was several light coats of matt black aerosol paint. Allow the paint to dry and remove the masking, job done. After a couple of weeks I lightly sanded them back with damp grey scotchbrite to flatten out the finish and applied a couple of coats of wax polish. This was done approx. 6 mths ago and the finish is still perfect and showing no signs of fading.

Plastic adhesion promoter is widely available on e-bay of from any car paint supplier.

Edited by leon263

or get some of the Wurth or similar plastic trim dye mentioned in the recent plastic trim restoration thread, this will permanently re-dye the plastic with the same chemicals/colouring used in their original manufacture

Thanks alot guys, awesome response as usual. I think I will try the wurth stuff hopefully it will work well on the roof strips as well.

I haven't tried the Wurth stuff but can recommend 'Forever Black', again it's a dye, but comes with a specific cleaner and it's applied with a sponge pad on the bottle (shoe shine style). Lasts a long time, hoping to do my door handles with some at he weekend, will post up the results.

Andy