almeidk

What fluids to change on a Corrado that has been sitting for 2 years?

hi i am a new member to the forum and new to the corrado family.

i just bought a 94 corrado vr6 that has been done up real nice, it has been sitting for 2 years in a garage and hasn't been started since. I wanna flush the gas lines and change the oil before i start her, and am wondering if anyone can suggest any other fluids or other things i should do that i really should change before i turn her over. i will probably change the coolant as well, should i change the gear oil in the manual transmission? power steering fluid?

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks alot in advance.

kevin

All of the above, plus a complete flush through with new brake fluid, opening each bleed nipple in turn to get the fluid into the calipers and through the ABS pump and valves.

I suggest that you take out the spark plugs and spin the engine on the starter first thing to get oil pressure into the crankshaft bearings and, crucially, into the top timing chain tensioner.

You'll probably find that the brake discs are a bit ragged if you are in a humid climate, and wheel bearings may be in need of replacement if it has been standing on its wheels for 2 years.

Otherwise it should be ok.

RB

thanks a lot roger.

I forget to mention the motor has been swapped from a 2004 gti. I don't know if that changes anything or if there are any other tips u have for me.

thanks again

kevin

Engine oil and brake/clutch fluid.

With the brakes VW state the 500ml is required per corner for non-ABS cars and 600ml per corner for ABS cars to replace the brake fluid, so you should end up with at least 2 litres in used brake fluid.

I would also bleed the clutch master and slave cylinders as they both use the same source for their oil.