deamon90002004

increasing bhp on g60?

hey all, i want to know what would be the best starting mods on a g60 91 to increase the bhp? i don't really want to change the pulley and chip yet due to car having 107k miles on it and i can't afford to get the charger refurbed any sooner than it has to be

so what would be the best few?

exhaust will be custom made by powerflow, and what sort of filter would be best to get? i've been looking at an swg motorsport one with the standard air box (to look simpler)

Without spending a lot of money, there aren't many other ways to increase power on the G60 without going down the chip and pulley route. I'd strongly advise staying away from these aftermarket filters.. it was repeatedly discussed amongst a lot of VW tuners that the original airbox and paper filter provides the finest filtration for the G-Lader - cone filters, etc just aren't good enough at filtering out the grit and crap which can shorten the life of your charger.

ah okie, the swg one i looked at, it replaced the original box, but goes to both sides of the charger so the breather is removed (which im unsure about because taking away a small oil feed) but gives 6bhp up, could i replace the filter with a k&n? because i love the whine they give off and i want to bring that out

ah okie, the swg one i looked at, it replaced the original box, but goes to both sides of the charger so the breather is removed (which im unsure about because taking away a small oil feed) but gives 6bhp up, could i replace the filter with a k&n? because i love the whine they give off and i want to bring that out

Personally I don´t rate the SWG filter box contraptions, too Barry-Boy. The claimed 6 bhp increase is very debatable and probably more an emotional increase in power. More importantly is the lack of lubrication of the charger with the SWG solution, because the oil return from the crankcase breather hose will be deleted. There is a reason why VW attached said breather hose to one of the inlets of the charger.

Don´t rate the K&N panel filters either, same problem as with cone filters. it´s not the shape of the filter, it´s how fine the mesh for filtering is, and in that respect nothing beats the old OEM paper filters. You can completely ignore all of this with any engine bar the G60 because of the soft material the scroll inside the charger is made of, and that requires maximum filtration of air entering the charger, unlike with NA engines, where you can let in almost any old crap.

To increase noise from the charger, you can try and remove the plastic pipe inside of the air flter box. This will result in a constant drone from the front right of the engine bay, which IMHO get tiresome after some time, and again, there is a reason why VW put that pipe inside the air filter box. It´s not only to get rid of the afore-mentioned drone, but also to maximise the surface area of the filter for filtration by guiding the air to the rear of the box, whereas the charger then sucks it through the filter towards the front of the box.

The more I read my stuff, the more I realise what an old f*rt I am :lol:, and just love the solid engineering that VW have put into the design of the G60, and hence I believe it´s best to leave it all alone.

Tempest

lol, you do sound like one, but you an old fart who knows their **** :p

right then, making the charger more reliable? i've seen a wide belt pully 11mm instead of 9, does it go straight on like they say? and i've seen a 19mm wide belt and pulleys but apparently the belt fowls on the bracket, would it be worth spending extra money on going 19mm and having the charget bolt further into the centre of the bay?

The points made by Jim and Tempest are sound and well informed. There are many ways by which the G60 engine power output can be increased. Equally there are staged levels of tuning one can progress through, largely driven by your available budget. I have been modifying the G60 engines since 1993 and will be happy to give some info on this subject. Please call me during working hours, JMR ltd 01903 718684

I look forward to hearing from you.

John

lol, you do sound like one, but you an old fart who knows their **** :p

right then, making the charger more reliable? i've seen a wide belt pully 11mm instead of 9, does it go straight on like they say? and i've seen a 19mm wide belt and pulleys but apparently the belt fowls on the bracket, would it be worth spending extra money on going 19mm and having the charget bolt further into the centre of the bay?

Honestly it depends on what you're trying to achieve. The charger doesn't need making more reliable - in it's factory configuration - just keep the lubrication system in good shape, get it inspected / rebuilt when needed, and you won't go far wrong.

Honestly I've just seen so many G60 projects on this forum over the years where people have tried to go big power - and they almost universally end up being broken for parts as the car just doesn't deliver in the way the owner wanted. As the power goes up the reliability is sacrificed.

My old G60 was lightly modified - a Golf G60 intercooler, a 68mm pulley and an SNS chip as well as a Magnex exhaust. Standard airbox too. It consistently made 207BHP on multiple rolling roads and was a great car - incredibly reliable too. Those modifications will yield good solid performance improvements, and won't break the bank. If I had another G60 I wanted to give a bit more sparkle too, I'd take the exact same route with modifications. If I wanted more power, I'd ditch the G60 and get a VR6 and go down the forced induction route.

One mod that I can recommend on the charger itself, but it won't provide any measurable increase in bhp, but will make maintenance work, eg. removing charger for overhaul, easier, is the RS outlet kit.

Tempest