jontykint

Front door speakers

Hi

Has anyone fitted speakers larger than the stock 5 1/4" in the doors without cutting anything?

Want to buy some replacements and 6 1/2" would be great if possible

I believe there are some mounts available (not sure where) which allows direct mounting of the speakers to the doors. Otherwise I think you need to fabricate something.

Specific door mounts were made for the Corrado by a company by the name of Audioscape which unfortunately has ceased to trade. Their door builds were designed to allow the fitment of the larger 6.5 inch speakers and can be mounted on the door using the existing screw holes. They came in two versions to suit the early or late cars and still appear fairly regularly in the 'for sale' sections of various forums. The early version had no provision for mounting the window switches as the early cars have the window switches on the door card. The later version came with a hole in which to mount the window switches as per the later car which has the switches on the door pocket. It isn't too difficult to adapt an early set to accept the window switches as per the later car if you use a little imagination and are handy with the tools. The photo below shows an early set mounted in my late interior car using Mk3 Golf window switches. The Golf switches are a direct fit to the Corrado loom, easier to fit and to my eye, a better looking switch.

P7070004.jpg

Edited by leon263

Thanks ......... I probably should say that they normally come trimmed in vinyl but I stripped it off and colour coded them.