robdriver

Engine conversion fitting ABF into Corrado 2.0 8V ADY 1996

I have been doing a bit of research on installing the ABF 2.0 16v into my Corrado 8v

My car is one of the last made fitted with the Mk3 Golf 2.0 8v 115ps lump and it seems that the ABF goes straight in onto my original gearbox. I am very happy with the current motor as a daily driver but as its approaching 180000 miles it will need refreshing sometime

I just missed an auction to buy an engine but it was because I was worried as the what parts I need to get from the donor car

What do I need from the donor car

Engine only ...... I believe my box fits ABF fine......is this correct

Engine ECU ...... do I need to take the ABF engine ECU and wiring harness........

key ...............do i need the ABF donor car ignition barrel?

exhaust............does the ADY exhaust fit the new ABF manifold

clocks.............read somewhere that my clocks are fine with ABF engine

engine mounts......will the standard ones fit

is there anything else I need to know to do this conversion and would you recommend it or suggest I rebuild by stock 8V engine instead

Abf is essentially a tall block 16v with different injection, very similar to the 4 cylinder corrados,, it does sit slightly higher than the Corrado 2L 16v 9A engine but it's not a lot and the Corrado 8v downpipe and exhaust should be fine mated to the abf exhaust manifold.

I'd get as much of the abf looms as possible, I think the mk3 uses the transponder ring on the ignition switch much like the late corrados so you should be able to interchange most stuff and use the Corrado dash.

there's a couple of people on here with abf engines, they may be able to help more, then there's the abf into mk2 info on club gti to trawl through.

8v mounts will be fine, just use the 8v brackets on he abf block.

definitely do a full abf conversion, nice engine and a minimum 160 bhp easily, most make more than vw stated but vw was conservative to keep them from looking too close to the 2.8 golfs output

Edited by davidwort

ABF is a common upgrade for the MK2 Golf GTI 8v, and is touted as 'plug and play'. Both the 8v and the ABF use computer controlled injection so it should be an easier conversion from an 8v Corrado than from a 16v Corrado as you'll be able to keep the fuel pump, etc. You should be able to keep the car wiring original - you just need to change the ECU and engine loom. If you source a pre-94/95 engine then you don't need the transponder/key.

The 16v will rev to over 7k rpm I imagine, so a set of 16v clocks may be beneficial?

Thanks for the help so far

So I need engine only not the gearbox from ABF (use my original ADY box)

I need the ABF wiring loom and ECU

pre 95 engine wont need key and transponder otherwise will need that

What about clutch and flywheel....ABF or ADY one?

Clutch and flywheel should be the same, not sure the abf will be suited to the 8v ratios though, it's a high revving engine and needs a lower ratio box, a kr (1.8 16v) corrado box would be ideal, lowest ratios of all the o2a cable change boxes

I already feel that I need to install a longer 5th gear on my current setup so don't think any issues with gear ratio on this box. The better power should easily pull higher gears and more speed and better economy,

Point taken and ill research the gear ratio's on the net

The gearboxes that came from the factory with the ABF engine assume a 15" wheel diameter with 50% aspect ratio tyres.If you decide to go for different ratios, I have an ex B4 Passat 16V gearbox with very low 1/2/3, then a big gap to 4/5 sitting in the garage in St Albans.

Best wishes

RB