diarmaid16

4 Branch Manifold

Can anyone tell me if a 4 branch exhaust manifold for a kr engine is the same as that on a 9A?

Also see some "hot tuning" manifolds on ebay. Are these any good?

Cheers

No, the 9a has a cat so you'd need a cat bypass pipe too fit a kr, alternatively get your cast iron manifold gas flowed for similar results or better and non of the drawbacks of non oem parts

So an aftermarket item would have to be specific to the 9A?

Just wondering whether a 4 branch would make much difference with a cat back s/s exhaust?

I've put a kr head on my 9a. I put a 4 branch on but due to the age it doesn't need a cat. You'd need the lambda on there I imagine? I couldn't say if the manifolds I got fitted to mine are for a 9a or kr..but I wouldn't have bought a kr specific one knowingly :-/

So a manifold for the 9A would just join up with the cat i.e. replace the original manifold and downpipe?

And a 4 branch for the kr would be different as they dont have a cat?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

Edited by diarmaid16

Manifold is the cast iron outlet from the head, 4 into 2,a kr downpipe goes 2 into 1 but has an Integral silencer, the 9a has a 2 into 1 downpipe from the same type of manifold as the kr but the end bolts to the cat instead of having the silencer. A 4 branch replaces the manifold and downpipe on either engine but will terminate differently depending on if it has to mate to the second silencer or cat, kr or 9a.

Just as a side note, the hot tuning listing does say it doesn't fit rhd cars with power steering. I've been wondering what manifold to get with my 9a as well with a de cat, options seem to be slim on the ground, I wondered if an option from someone like ashley exhausts for the golf mk2 16v would work myself

surely the car having a CAT from factory won't matter? the rest of the system joins the same so I'd put good money on a KR 4 branch working fine with a 9A allowing you to de-CAT it.

HotTuning are a bit iffy, people haven't had issues with them massively but a 4 branch for £200 or less isn't going to be well made, that can't be argued, just your choice if you want to try it. As said they tend to not do much RHD stuff either!

surely the car having a CAT from factory won't matter? the rest of the system joins the same so I'd put good money on a KR 4 branch working fine with a 9A allowing you to de-CAT it. [/Quote]

all but a handful of early 9A's require a CAT for the MOT (sept 1992 onwards), plus you need somewhere to screw the lambda sensor into.