Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Can I de-cat?

I know this has been covered before, but there always seems to be some confusion over the exact dates.

My car was first registered on 30/12/1992. My cat is really rattly and I was wondering if I could de-cat?

Anyone?

Cheers

Hm.. from what I read K plate cars are safe to decat but.. my local MOT centre were a bit shaky with mine even though I am on a J plate!

I think it was August 1st '92 (i.e. K-reg) that was the cut-off date for catalyst fitment. Could be wrong, but I'm sure that's what I've heard before.

There is an astounding lack of information on this on the internet, but exturbo2003 seems to be right. They said your car has to be pre 1993 to get away with having no cat - so as yours is (barely) a 1992 car, you should be ok :)

Nice one guys! :D I'll phone some garages first to double check, then if I get the OK the cat's coming off :twisted:

I thought all k reg cars should have cat, mines a 92 k reg and my local garage said it has to have cat, he looked it up in the book, im sure he said the date was about aprill 92, if thats true, it means late j plates should have a cat aswell

Could be wrong...but i think thats what he said

Just read on a page off the net, and its says the date is 1st of august 92

it also said its not the law to have a cat, you've just got to pass the emmisions test, which in most cases you need a cat to do that........but my car passed the emmisions test without a cat