feeenix14

New VR6 owner in the midlands

Damn tensioners! VW must have made them out of chocolate or something! I guess, to be fair, many have lasted over 120,000 miles and sometimes over a decade (or two!).. not bad going but.. seem to be a hell of a lot of worn out tensioners appearing on the forum at the moment!

ok I'll do a bit of an update on here and then stick a few pics on tonight using the tapatalk.

gearbox is now back on with manifold and 90% of everything else, just need to plumb a pipe or two and then re-connect the wiring which thanks to my labelling skills should be dead easy.

got my hubs and everything back with new bearings pressed in, used my crowfoot spanner to get the inner tie rods off so i can get the new ones on, so everything is motoring along

jobs still to do, figure out how to get the drivers side drive shaft off so i can do both boots. figure out how to remove/install droplinks because they are confusing me

refurb all 4 calipers

refit everything then drive somewhere to loosen the nuts on the strut tops because they aint budging !!

put it all back together and get an MOT all in time for stanford hall a week on sunday !!

tune in this evening for more pics

Having to re wrap most of the loom because its wrapped in this stuff at the minute which literally turns to dust when you touch it

Engine support beam doing its thing, i will be selling this now im finished with it if anyones interested

I mean the support beam is for sale. NOT the car, this ones for keeps !!

Hi, whats your name ?

"Calliper carrier bolt"

And what do you do ?

"Me? Well i generally just sit here quietly until you think everythings going well then i do everything i can to break your will and send you home with busted nuckles and your tail between your legs carrying a bag of broken tools"

Oh. Nice to meet you.

Pfffffffft !!!

:lol:

I know that feeling! You're doing well though, nice work - car looks good :)

Man this is dragging along, i dont think im going to get it done in time for stanford hall this weekend. Gutted. I spent all evening just doing both cv boots on driver side. Not a job ive done before so chuffed ive done it but it took me hours. I just could not get the flipping c clip back on. That on its own took an hour and a half :(

Shiny new parts going on which is great but i am a bit gutted at the minute.

I initially decided to do everything with the date in stanford hall in mind and everything was going well but then a few things have put me back. I noticed that i had a split in a brake flexi hose, so spoke to a guy about getting a braided set made up so i bit the bullet, he said all he needed was my flexi pipes off the car and would make a set to match. The rears came off fine but then i sheared the end off one of the hard lines on the front and rounded off the other side.

Now there is no way i will be done in time for stanford hall. It was all going so well, everything was going on brilliant, (albeit awkward, the car is only on some small stands so i am spending alot of time underneath with my nose literally pressing against the sump) i can see that replacing the hard line is going to be a massive ball ache to fit now that everything else is pretty much back on the car.

All i had left to do was put a lick of paint on the callipers and refit and get an alignment done, now i massively cant be arsed so will probably just spend the entire bank holiday weekend like a male bridget jones, watching crap tv and eating ice cream whilst silently sobbing into my lambrini.

I'm in Nuneaton near Coventry pal, i bit far away from you in Essex. How does the brake flaring tool work ? theres a couple of inches of hard pipe in the wheel arch, would it be possible to flare an end back onto the piping thats left in the wheel arch ? or does the tool need quite a bit of space to work its magic ?

where's the best place to get the ends and piping from anyways ?

You can get tools that work "on car" I think mine would do, You can buy cheap kits and expensive kits, i spent about £100 on my kit and works well every time. Not sure you could use the bit on car again, might be too short to reach the correct mounting point.

They just clamp onto the pipe and you wind a shaped head into it, which compresses the end of pipe into a shape, Always remember to stick the union on before you flare the pipe, i kept making that mistake...

ok thanks for the info and the offer of help buddy, i might have found someone who can lend me a flaring tool so i will give it a try, im just writing on my hand - UNION ON FIRST !!

Spent the evening scrubbing my arches before i put the liners back in, good feeling seeing the blue shine through and that they are solid !!

Also got new hard lines and should be picking up my braided lines tonight. Its back on track !!