Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Problems with handling...

I am starting to get increasingly concerned about the steering on my Corrado - it does not seem to be behaving correctly. Symptoms are :

Occasionally heavy feeling when steering, the car pulling strongly to a particular side of the road when driving over small imperfections in the road, the steering going very wobbly / light when accellerating quickly, steering wheel wobble at 60MPH+, and a few other symptoms.

I am going to go to a garage and get the tracking + balance done (dont think its tracking as tyre wear seems pretty light) but could it be anything more serious? Wheel bearings? I have been putting off getting it properly checked as I just simply dont have the money for any more big bills.

I don't think the car has had any front end damage - the car was ok when I first got it in January, and I have not been involved in any accidents with the car.. just seems to have gradually gotten like this.

Suggestions please!

Cheers.

Yeah agree with G60jet - get the wishbone and steering rack bushes checked. I had this problem on my MK2 GTi and the car was sorted after replacing them. Also check your wheel bearings are not worn.

Cheers

Mark

2.0 16v

Thanks for the replies guys... any idea how much it would cost to get the bushes done or potentially the wheel bearings?

Not sure on the prices for a Corrado - but it wasn't too bad for the Golf. As you are a bit strapped for the folding stuff I would suggest going to an independant rather than the VW dealer (£70 an hour!! :evil: ). A mobile mechanic did my Golf bushes - I think it only took him a couple of hours (about £60 labour total). Get the bits and bobs from German and Swedish or similar - they are basically the same parts. :p Wheel bearings can be quite pricey, so check if they need doing first. Just jack up the wheel and rock the wheel in and out - if there is a bit of play you can usually tighten the nut on the hub to improve things.

Cheers

Mark

Phone Powerflex in the UK they do all the bushes,

If you want to go for better handleing in the long run then upgraded bushes are better, however the ride is firmer and you will loose the passive rear wheel steering with non OEM bushes

i would only fit the powerflex in the rear of the wishbone! ( the donut looking ones) or else you might find the ride too harsh! " need constant trips to the dentist!" replace all the others with o.e ones to retain the quality ride...

Thanks for the replies guys... any idea how much it would cost to get the bushes done or potentially the wheel bearings?

I see you're in Coventry - I know a good little garage here in Warwick who are very reasonable. They changed one of my wishbones last year for a ridiculously low price (they had to change the entire wishbone, apparently you can't just change the bush..?).

Can't remember how much it was, can find out if you like. But they're friendly, efficient and cheap - never had a problem with any of the work they've done (but then I always get BRM to do the major stuff I guess!)

The only thing is you'll need to take it elsewhere to get the steering and suspension geometry set up properly again, they don't have the kit to do all that.

Blair,

That would be very cool of you if you could find out.. Warwick is a short drive as you say, so that would be very handy.

Jim

OK, let me find the receipt for the work I've had done, that will at least give you an indication :)

By the way the garage is "Wedgnock Car Sales" on Cape Road in Warwick. They're a small place, of the old-fashioned variety (as opposed to the "dodgy geezer" variety ;) )

Blair,

I prefer the old fashioned type, believe me. Coventry just has too many 'geezer' garages, and I hate leaving my car with them. Thats why I have pretty much gone to Stealth Racing out at Southam every time for my jobs.. its expensive, but you know its getting done properly.

The only place I do quite like is Tyre Sales in Coventry (behind Halfords, just off the ring road) for general simple bits, MOTs & tyres - a great bunch of guys who are always happy to help and do a job very cheap.