aclwalker

Very proud of my car today...

That's certainly some good distance on a Corrado - good work :) And well done for managing to get the picture.. always hard to capture those milestone moments!!

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, it was a well-planned stop. Went to 234566 outside my house so just continued along for a bit until the magic change.

superb work, heres to the 567890 mark :)

you must have pulled over

There must be Corrados in America with that kind of mileage on them. The country where 200,000 is considered "low mileage"!

My car reached a special milestone today...

Excellent effort, how many of those many miles have you done yourself? Have you had any major issues? Is the car like a motoring version of Triggers broom now or fairly original? Interested to know your experiences? Cheers

The car was about 172k when I got it so I've put about 60k on it, in 11 years.

The major repairs (excluding standard servicing stuff) that I can remember are:

Complete overhaul of front suspension, including wheel bearings, CV joints (inner and outer), balljoints, struts, springs (both sides snapped, after 18 years!), tie-rod ends, hubs. Some tit had put non-VR6 spring caps etc on before I got it, which stripped the threads off part of the struts and crushed the strut bearings to bits.

Overhaul of rear suspension (minus springs, but I'm going to do that again at some point and replace the springs too.

Complete replacement of all brake pipes and hoses back to the ABS unit.

Alternator plus starter (I accidentally snapped the corroded terminal off the starter, otherwise it was fine).

Heater matrix replacement (which required the entire dash to be removed).

Complete overhaul of cooling system including fan cowling (corroded to hell because some tit had not reassembled it properly and cracked the paint off it and bent it), new motor fan, new thermostat and housing, temp senders etc (although I think I have another leak now after a few years again!), new water pump (both mechanical and electrical auxiliary).

Heater matrix replacement (requiring removal of the entire dashboard).

Full new stainless exhaust back to CAT. Magnex, IIRC.

Complete reassembly of wipers as probably the same tit as above had assembled it all wrong meaning the wipers barely touched the screen.

Coilpack repair with epoxy resin.

Fuel system work, including fuel lines (leaking - eek!), fuel pressure regulator.

New sump.

I've done almost all that work myself, apart from the exhaust. The major problems I still have are:

It chews through wheel bearings on the front left. I suspect that either the wheel bearing housing is buckled (potholes) or my torque wrench was out meaning I under-torqued them (although the driver's side has been fine and I did that too). There's also the confusion between the compressed splines vs non-compressed splines hub issue. I have a new torque wrench now too!

One spark plug (number 6 I think) fouls up with oil and carbon, so I have to periodically clean it up.

My air mass meter has a dodgy connection, so I have to periodically bent the wire a bit to get it to stop hesitating.

The car has a habit of locking itself, so I must remember to never leave it unattended with the key in the ignition. Some tit hadn't put the conduit back properly on the driver's door, causing the wire insulation to get chaffed. I haven't got round to fixing this.

The heater controls have broken, but it's pointing at the windscreen.

The sunroof mechanism snapped.

Apart from that, it drives great. I get about 27mpg long-term, but often 30+ if not stuck at lights and on the motorway, which is much more than when I got it. It uses about a litre of oil every 500-600 miles. I believe these are decent figures for a VR6.

I have had no major engine repairs, but I could do with doing the chains.

It's a daily runner, used for commuting and I love it, even though it's temperamental and rattles incessantly despite me stuffing folded paper into everywhere. I think the car was extensively worked on by idiots before I got it, idiots who have thrown trim clips in the bin and so on. The number of things I have found incorrectly assembled or even missing is unreal, especially the front suspension, which wasn't even all VR6 parts!

Also, it has full black leather interior, including door cards. The back seats are like new. :)

The bodywork is quite bad. The previous owner dented it on three out of the four corners and I haven't got round to fixing it. It has some rust needing attention.

In truth, I felt sorry for it when I went to view it all that time ago! But I loved the full leather interior, and the price was good (because of the dents).

I have no regrets at all, and it's been a tremendous learning experience. My confidence has grown enormously with respect to DIY repairs and I would pretty much tackle anything now. I simply don't trust most mechanics.

Bugger, I completely missed this milestone when it happened last month. Now I'll have to wait until 345678