Sign in to follow this  
randal

Hose split! Help!

Morning All,

On my way to work this morning, and noticed the temperature was climbing rather rapidly. Pulled over and did the bonnet check, water was low. Topped it up (LOTS), and ran the engine for a minute or two on the forecourt. Only to find water literally jetting out of a hose at the bottom front of the engine. (see pic) Could anyone tell me what this is/part number please? I need to know quite urgently as I have to be in North London for 2pm! Waaaah!

Thanks in advance

randal

It looks like it could be a 037 121 058A. Oil cooler to Water pipe if it is the bottom hose or if it is the top one in your picture 027 121 053B which goes from the water pump to the oil cooler and the flange on the head.

Gavin

Gav - you da man! Thanks very much. Would have used a standard piece of hose, but owing to the shape of it I guess that would have caused more problems with kinking etc... Will give Mr Motor Factors a call now and see what the damage is.

Thanks again

randal

Motor factors didn't have it, so had to call the stealer. It's not a part they keep so I'd have to wait till Thursday. But that's not the best bit.... 48 quid + vat for the part. I have NEVER heard of such bullsh*t in my entire life, w*n*ers!

Rock on GSF - 5.50! More like it. If it wasn't for the fact I love the car so much, I'd actually boycott VW and their UK-esque prices. :mad:

yeppers, the question mark shaped doohickie. Just waiting for a mate to come pick me up... Grrrrrrr stealers... GRRRRRR.

yay the top hose just split whilst trying to remove it so i could access the lower one. it's turning out to be one of those days.... f'ckit.

dump it and get a mocal on there... 8)

2 pipes off a normal Golf (cost about £40 all in) and the cost of the cooler, and you've solved your problem AND improved the car at the same time... 8) ;)

OK, of much toil, sweat (it's DAMN hot out there!) and swearing have managed to crack the lot. The top hose was only split at the very end, so a quick trim and it's all good. Having just spent over an hour trying to get the pinch clips off on the lower hose (oo-er), I totally agree with you stel g60!

Henny, this oil cooler you speak of - I thought that was just a G60 thing? I'm interested, very interested... I guess it would mount behind the rad and feed inline somehow? Do tell, I'm all excited at the prospect of taking that cursed 48 quid (in the eyes of a stealer anyway) and setting fire to it! :D

Cheers all

randal

the oil cooler/heat exchanger is common to all 4 cylinder Corrados (and most Golf GTIs too) and is a pain in the arse and a serious weak point...

It'll cost you more than just fixing the pipes that you have on now, but if you go for a Mocal, you'll have a cooler running engine, less waterpipes to go wrong and a nice upgrade to your oil system... 8)

Prices? dunno, Have a word with G-Man or 16VG60 about the mocal kits (easier than trying to work out which bits you need from Thinkauto) and then you need the 2 water pipes to get rid of the heat exchanger plumbing from VAG which come to about £40 all in... 8)

Oh, and don't re-use the pinch clips! they are single use only and will have stretched now you've got 'em off the oilcooler and will probably cause a leak when you put it all back together again... :roll: Use jubilee clips instead, much better! :D

If the hoses are anything to go by, i can see why the oil cooler is such a gimpy knee. Ended up taking off the rad hose, and was deliberating taking the alternator out just so I had some space to get the crappy pliers I had to make a decent fit on the pinch clips! Not a problem though, as I grabbed some jubilees when I got the hose :D No way in hell I was going through that again!

Will have a think about the mocal idea, more tempted to get me shocks and shoes sorted first... ah decisions decisions :roll:

ta again