southerner88

InteriorParts - recovering

Hi all,

Any one got any ideas what is the best way to "glue" material to various plastic interior trims?

I have the new material to bring her back to life but not sure on the best product for the job...

any help would be great cheers

As long as the material is not too thin, I used spray carpet adhesive to good effect on my leather where it was coming away from the top of the door cards. I tried it in the corner of the roof lining fabric though and it soaked through a bit and has gone hard so I wouldn't suggest it for that.

ok, that stuff sounds pretty good, is there a certain brand thats better or not really matter? the material Im using is fairly thick, not like the roof lining material...

A friend has said about a liquid which you basically paint onto the plastic, then cover it with the material and leave to dry. Any one know of such a product or would I be better off using the spray carpet adhesive?

dont want to ruin the car or material

From my experience you need to use a high temp adhesive for vehicle interiors. If yo use a normal carpet spray adhesive the first hot day you get it will start to peel off. I learnt this the hard way when I carpeted my caddy van. I redid it useing some stuff from megavanmats.com. They do a spray on for thicker materials (carpet etc) and a brush on for thinner stuff like headlinings. It's been stuck solid for best part of two years now. It's what I'm going to use when I get round to doing my rado's headlining. Hope this helps

Ive not experienced it coming loose again although its only been about 8 months. I used a bostik branded one, although if hinesy has done a full interior it sounds like he has more experience than me.

Ive not experienced it coming loose again although its only been about 8 months. I used a bostik branded one, although if hinesy has done a full interior it sounds like he has more experience than me.

To be honest if your just sticking odd parts of existing trim down as you've done normal carpet adhesive will be fine. But if your covering a full panel I'd always use the high temp stuff.

Cheers for help people,

Basically the previous owner attempted to "boy racer" the car until I rescued it. They had stripped the original material from the pillars, roof and painted the centre unit between the seats. They had put what looked like red coloured tacky back plastic across all the pillars, red perforated tacky material stuff on the roof, a red gaitor and red painted (badly, very badly) centre unit between the seats.

SO...

As well as sorting his bodged attempts of engine tuning, Im sorting the interior. I have some leatherette stuff i think its called to cover the roof lining and the pillars, have got some for the centre units between the seats too to cover the paint and the scuffs. So I am trying to glue to the leatherette stuff to bare plastic and the roof,