Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

flooding issues. please read and help me out if you can.

ok, my car used to have a 90' G60 engine in it. the charger blew up and got a ton of metal flake in the engine. after that happend i decided to do a rare engine swap (only in the US) i decided i would put an N/A 2.0L 16v engine in using the same G60 fuel managment.

ok, here is the main issue: the shop i brought it to specializes in VW engine swaps (awesome shop by the way http://www.tomassporttuning.com ) so, they got the engine running and it was having its normal running issues. but the second day when they were starting the engine for tuning, it flooded. and now every time they try to start it, it is flooding. they are having a hard time tracking down what the problem is because it started with no issues the first time they started it up. do any of you guys have any suggestions? please let me know, i am trying to get my car running by this friday for the car show that is on sunday. please help me out if you can think of anything.

its the chip mate

you need to get the ECU mapped to your car as it sounds like that ECU is picking up on the air going into the system and fueling more than you need to as your not running force induction

It would be better of to swope your ECU system over to a 2L 8v digi system and having that remapped

i really dont know... i was talking to one of the guys from SNS and he told me this:

me: i was told that it may be because i still have the stock chip

me: does that seem pretty logical?

rigoroni: the stock chip is designed for a 1.8 8:1 motor

rigoroni: so it outputs the gas for such a motor

rigoroni: your VE is effected by compression

rigoroni: and displacement

rigoroni: more VE requires more fuel

rigoroni: a 1.8 8:1 motor is about 80bhp

rigoroni: alas this is where the boost comes in and makes a little better motort

i dont know. they guy at SNS also called the shop incompitent. heh. well, this puts me in a pickle.

Well yeah that makes sense.

As Alex says, its still expecting to be fuelling a 1.8 G60 engine, except it doesn't have that at all - it now has a 2.0 16v engine with a different compression, different capacity, etc etc.

I have a very very limited understanding of all of this, but surely you need an ECU or at least a chip for a 2.0 16v :)

Does the G60 have a MAF?

If so, the fuelling shouldn't matter, the fuel/air ratio should remain the same. Sure the G60 chip is *designed* to put more fuel in but then, if the MAF is telling it there's hardly any air coming in, it shouldn't overfuel anyway. Particularly given that these cars have both a MAF and a lambda, IIRC.

Or is all that completely arse? Just trying to apply a bit of logic... (Which could well be my first mistake!!)

Of course, if the MAF is a different model/size now, that could cause problems. (Same air flow rate through a wider inlet equals ECU underestimating correct airflow, for example.)

yes it does have a MAF. i was told that i am going to need to get the chip made from SNS once my engine is broken in. but they said it should run well enough to wait on getting the chip right from the start. i still dont know what is going on. and the shop it is at is still looking for the issue. its still weird to me and the shop how it could start a few times and have no issues. then the next day flood everytime. :|

Could it be a stuck injector?

My instinct says that as you say it should run well enough to be basically driveable..

You can't get hold of the ECU that came with the engine I take it?

why on earth would you try and run a n/a 16v on f/i 8v electronics,.? you are asking for trouble,

but i'm still getting to grips why any body would put a n/a 16v in after a g60, ???? surely your money would have been better spent rebuilding the g60 or even a 16v g60.???, :roll:

as for your problem. scrap the ecu, put twin 40s on, 8)

why on earth would you try and run a n/a 16v on f/i 8v electronics,.? you are asking for trouble,

but i'm still getting to grips why any body would put a n/a 16v in after a g60, ???? surely your money would have been better spent rebuilding the g60 or even a 16v g60.???, :roll:

as for your problem. scrap the ecu, put twin 40s on, 8)

i have heard the combination works fine when the car is actually running.

as for why i put in a N/A 2.0L 16v insted of keeping it a G60, i am going to be getting more bhp out of this engine than i was getting out of my G60 with mods done to it. also, it is quite rare to see a 16v corrado in the US. i only know of 1 other person who has done this exact swap in the US and he is loving it.

as for my money being better spent rebuilding the g60, i would have spent much more doing that because i would not only have to buy a new charger (because when my went, it was not reuseable), get a new intercooler (because mine got ruined when the charger sent a bunch of metal flake through it, i would also have to rebuild the G60 engine (because of all the metal flake that ended up in it). i figured, when i could get more bhp out of a N/A engine and upgrade it later (to have even more power) for cheaper than trying to keep the G60, you could see why i went this way. sorry you disagree with me.

You can't get hold of the ECU that came with the engine I take it?

the ECU that came with the 2.0L 16v? or the one that came with my G60? i plan on keeping my G60 one and the 16v engine didnt come with an ECU.