Jim Bowen

Best place to get an alternator

Want a new alternator, noticed the 3 used ones i have are 70a, 90a and 120a

Am sure the original that came with car was the 90a and made by Valeo, the 70a is a bosch and can't remember the other one.

Is there a lot of difference between buying a new one and having one rebuilt.

Just had my R32 one done for £80. It was only that much because they have special slipper clutches in the pulley which can let go. Probably about £50 for a VR6 one. A rebuild consists of new bearings, new regulator / brushes and a new commutator (if worn). The rest of the Alternators is just a load of windings and a carcass at the end of the day, so rebuilding them is fine.

I hope its my alternator, still got this flickering of power and really annoying now, especially as its dark these days and i notice the light flickering like a candle.

Held a screwdriver to the alternator and my ear and it sounded a little noisy, but when putting a multimeter on battery the power seems ok.

If the interior lights slowly dim, then brighten, dim, brighten at idle, but stabilises goes when you rev the engine, that's the regulator on it's way out.

You can also spot that on the mulitmeter if the voltage fluctuates slightly. It should sit at a rock steady 14V or 13.8V or what ever. If it's shifting up and down constantly from 13.6 - 14. Mr Alty is dying.