Sign in to follow this  
RACK

Total refurb

Not sure if I've asked this before, but....

My C started life in Hull full of lovely sea are and salt! It needed loads of underside welding last year and cost me a fortune just to keep, hence why I'm getting a hefty bank loan and making a proper job of engine and body.

I went to see a bloke called James at JBS Autodesign (I'm sure they had a stand at inters, they're pretty into the REVO stuff at the min, and built a 300+bhp golf cab). He's a top bloke and a quality sparyer. After he fixed the bottom of the C he said it looked like it'd had a rough lifeand it could do with ripping apart and totally re-building. The price was around £3k, for a total resoration, he then said the paint would last another 10years.

Just wondered what everyone thought. I'm putting a X-Flow in soon and don't want the fasted shed in Rotherham, and don't really want to waste money on a cheap job to last for 12months.

I know his work is awesome and I trust him with the car, which in my book counts for a lot.

What do y'all reckon?

Cheers ppl

I s'pose it depends on how much you value your car... I had my Land Rover refurbished about 10 years ago, which cost me a total of £4.5k looked stunning for about three years, but it probably put another 5 years onto the life of the vehicle.

Considering a good G60 would only fetch (say) £4k wouldn't it be better to sell yours and buy a minter to do the work on? Just an idea.

BUT if you love your car (like I love my Storm) AND you intend keeping it for a length of time (inpertuity) then £3k isn't that much if you can afford it. :) So long as you KNOW you can trust the guy (and from what you've written you can), go for it.

I know what you're saying, I've been trying to justify it to my self for a bit. But I'm doing the engine anyway and the last thing I want is for the engine to rip the car to bits, and I suppose it would be almost a brand new car! Plus there isn't another car that I fancy at the mo, well apart from a 993 porsche turbo!!!

James, who is the owner of JBS Autodesign is sh1t hot and has done some top conversions I'll try and find the website so people can have a look. I trust him totally, he's got one of those no bullsh1t attitudes.

sorry mate but i would get rid of it, once you start welding it will never be the same nomatter how good the guy is. it will look nice for a while but when the mot comes around in a couple of years you will regret putting the money into it. can you not get a good shell and change everything good once its painted. i only paid £2,200 for mine, one owner from new, not perfect but very minor cosmetics reqd and it goes in for those on tuesday £300 for cash.

sorry to put a dampener on things but in all honesty you can't polish a turd. i have been in the exact same situation with several cars and bikes and take it from me you will not be happy and deep down you know i am right. sorry for being blunt but you did ask for opinions. :wink:

Gotta say I would agree with muskie, If it's had a sh#t load of welding carried out, then chances are itl'l start to need a sh#t load more in the fairly near future. OK it might look good from above ground level, but....... Surely the restoration would only cover the mechanicals and the paintwork, I suppose the long term issue though is the condition of an already heavily welded shell in 2 to 3 years time......

Yeah, I know what your both saying, and in hindsight I should have probably cut my losses a long time ago, but I've got a lot of money tied into it and not quite sure what to do. I've lost faith in the C the last couple of weeks, but still couldn't bare to see it go! The welding cost a bt due to where I had it done, like I said before, JBS is a top quality shop and I didn't mind paying the extra due to the quality of work.

I've got a few things to sort out first before I really make my mind up :| , but thanks for the replies.

RACK

Find a high mileage dog and swap the shells, then re sell the the b4stard hybrid.

That was another idea.

But a mint VR6 has just come up for sale, it was one that I used to see all the time round my way and was the one that made me want a C.

61K full VAG sh! It's been garaged for the last 2 years.

I'm gonna go and get some more info on mine later today and see just how a good/bad a state its in.

Oh the joys of motoring :lol: :lol:

let us know how you get on. mine went in for a few bits of stonechiped paintwork today and new door hinge pins on the drivers door. then come the winter a big engine rebuild. :lol: vr6 would cost me to much in petrol as i only do short journeys most of the time. and they are big money when they go wrong.

That was another idea.

But a mint VR6 has just come up for sale, it was one that I used to see all the time round my way and was the one that made me want a C.

61K full VAG sh! It's been garaged for the last 2 years.

I'm gonna go and get some more info on mine later today and see just how a good/bad a state its in.

Oh the joys of motoring :lol: :lol:

If it's been garaged for 2 years - budget for replacing both rear calipers (handbrake will have siezed), front discs & pads, rear discs & pads, possible siezed load sensing valve above rear axle. Also FULL service including coolant change, brakefluid change, gearbox oil change.

Steve, I know what you're saying. I had to do the same with mine cos it had been garaged for a year and half. But it is a lovely looking VR6.

I didn't get to go up and see them yesterday, but will def let people know of all the goings on.

No doubt it will give everyone something to giggle at :lol:

Cheers for the replies peeps

RACK

regarding the total respray........

can you post pics of the areas which cause concern? Surely if these sections are repaced, as a good body shop would (not saying anything about your choice..... only that as yet, i dont think any one who is in the trade has posted) then you have nothing to worry about. The question is how much will vag charge for those parts?????

Has JBS had the car up on ramps and given it a real good going over before quoting you? If this is how he has arrived at his 4k quote, and if you trust him, and he says 10 years.... he means 10 years - no?

He's had a good look at it, it was in their body shop last year for some welding and touch ups done. That's when I asked him for the quote.

He said between 2-3k for a totall re-build that's with new panals and the lot, but I reckon I can get away with a few of these to bring the costs down. I'm still in my "making my mind up" phase at the min.

As soon as I can get hold of a digi camera I'll get some pics.

Just thought I'd put a litle bit of an up-date on this.

I went and got another quote on getting the car sprayed yesterday at a local body shop with a growing reputation.

The quote ended up being a good figure £800, they said the roof only needed buffing and it would only take about a week.

Looks like my C isn't in as bad a nick as I thought :D