MoonlightVR6

Looking boot with no electric.

Turn the key to horizontal position

Thats what I thought, but neither key turns at all, the button just goes in and open the boot. Could it be because there is no electric?

Can I lock it manually from the inside of the boot? Somehow?

It wont budge, is it knackered?

What about manually? I need to lock it tonight and tomorrow I can get a battery for it soI can electronically lock it...

thanks anyway BILLCOR

Try pushing it in and turning, it has a deadlock and should lock without central locking, sorry its a bit vague, I no longer have a Rado, otherwise I would have went out and checked how it works

Try pushing it in and turning, it has a deadlock and should lock without central locking, sorry its a bit vague, I no longer have a Rado, otherwise I would have went out and checked how it works

Obviously you need to buy another Bill go on you know you want to :rolleyes:

I have only just got it back from storage and I remember it was tricky when I had it originally.

I tried all manor of things and I couldn't get it working. Pushing it in a little & turning, turning other way. The same for both keys.

Can the lock just break if its not been used for ages?

I'll buy a battery tomorrow and try it then with the key fob.

Squirt WD40 into the lock. Leave for a few mins to penetrate, then try the key again.

As above, it should turn 90 degrees leaving it locked and allowing you to get the key out.

do what ^ he says :)

yeah they do sieze up given enough time, good to take them out, work them and pack them with grease every few years.

Sounds like locks have been changed at some point and the keys you have for the doors, don't match the lock you have for the boot. You can buy a new lock mechanism for the boot from Volkswagen still I believe and I don't think it's ludicrous money - and it's pretty easy to change too - and you will of course get a new lock and the key to go with it..

The usual issue with VWs rear locks is the levers seizing in the barrel through lack of use, there's a clear plastic / rubber ring on the outside of the barrel supposedly to keep the weather out. These are usually yellowed, hardened and split, allowing water and road salt to pass by and corrode the levers and barrel. Remove it, strip it, lube it would be my advice. You'll then see if it is the correct barrel for the key or not.

If you have a spare key you could try that too as after 20 years the keys and barrels will now have some wear and the levers may not be clearing the barrel housing

Had this on mine - as dox recommends I stripped completely, greased and reassembled and it works a treat now - I hadn't used it in my 7 years of ownership until battery died and I found it was seized! If you need to lock it temporarily I think you might be able to disconnect the connecting rod that goes between the push button and the catch....

I got the new battery in and she locked first click of the fob, so I know the lock itself actually locks, its just being temperamental with the key. I'll try your recommendation of WD40 and let you know how I get on.

I was worried some tramp would try and steal her.