Sign in to follow this  
tonytiger

VR6 Air Intake / Breather Hose

One of the wires on the electrical connector to the breather hose has broken off on my VR (see first photo). I was going to attempt to fix this (or at worst find another connector plug with the wires still attached) so I tested the wiring for power first to make sure there were no other problems. Then I looked at the connector socket - it doesn't appear to have any contacts - just seems to be plastic (see 2nd photo). This has got me really confused :? - am I missing something obvious?

The only reference I seem to be able to find for that connection is that it's to the 'heated tube'. What's it's purpose??

Having seen another photo on here somewhere of the breather hose, I see that mine is different (no bellows, etc) so I assume mine is the later type. Does anybody why the breather setup was changed and if there's any significant difference between them? Could it be that the heated tube (if that's what it is/was) was only needed on the early type setup? That would perhaps explain why mine seems to be a dummy connection.

Any thoughts anybody?

I think most people have the same thing - a connector with wires in it, but no contacts in the tubing...

Mine certainly has, and mine is the later type of inlet manifold (solid tube with bellows).

I've heard it's something that was only necessary in extreme climates, so it wasn't active on the European VRs.

Thanks. Guess I don't need to worry about reconnecting that wire.

If I need to change the breather pipe (haven't properly inspected it yet), which version is best - early or late type? Or would I have to replace it with the same?

Dunno, but you can get those pipes from Ford - much cheaper than from VW.

Galaxy VR6 has the same components.