southerner88

Engine Cutting out on my VR6

I was happily driving along this evening and then the engine cut out, I had to get the hazards on and come to a stop, remove the key, give it a few seconds and then start her up again, did this about 6 times through out about 30 mins of driving with no obvious similarities each time. Did it when out of gear, when in gear decelerating and also in gear accelerating. I couldnt find anything that linked them all together...

Corrado had been stood for a while before I got her, and she only got on the road yesterday after passing MOT etc, gave her a good half tank of BP Ultimate (Shell Vpower garage is currently being refurbed) and a quarter of a bottle of redex to match petrol litreage.

Thats about all thats been done to her and what was happening, any help would be amazing as I'm not trusting for long journey's/motorways now

Yet another cutting out ,non starter and the like thread . Is it the time of year or something ? so many of us are suffering these sort of symptoms . Sounds like an immobiliser fault to me .

my first vr did this, as do a lot of others, new ECU relay cured it for me.

Yet another cutting out ,non starter and the like thread . Is it the time of year or something ? so many of us are suffering these sort of symptoms . Sounds like an immobiliser fault to me .

God forbid anyone mentions searching the forum. Possibly using Google as admittedly the site search is a pile of gash.

Check the battery clamps. If they are loose then it can cause similar symptoms on mine.

Thanks Portent, will check they are nice and tight tomorrow, Aide, Ive sent you a PM,

Cheers for the help so far guys...

Have tightened the battery terminals up, the positive is still a bit lose and can turn on the terminal, but I also changed the battery a newer one from my golf GTi, so far so good!

Have tightened the battery terminals up, the positive is still a bit lose and can turn on the terminal, but I also changed the battery a newer one from my golf GTi, so far so good!

That's definitely not right - when I clamp my battery terminals on they're not budging anywhere!

That's definitely not right - when I clamp my battery terminals on they're not budging anywhere!

hmmmm, the negative side tightens pretty good, the positive terminal tightens but I can still spin it sideways....is it possible to buy new clamps? or maybes add a thin layer of copper or something inside the clamp to make it tighter?