Sign in to follow this  
pellzzr

help, need you collective knowledge

New member to the forum so please be gentle

I have a mid-engined kit car(Pell Genesis) that is presently powered by a ZZR1100 bike engine, however slowly going deaf and the lack of torque is a pain when not on a track.

Used to have a G60 many years ago and always loved the engine and this got me thinking.

I am converting back to car power and the this uses a Audi 80 sport G-Box, now the standard engine is a Mi16 which bolts directly to the Audi box. Thus is a little underpowered for my tastes and am i correct in thinking that the VR6 or G60 units should also fit to the box ? Can anyone help

And if so what unit is more tunable want around 250 bhp and 220 lbs of torque. With a car engine should weigh in around 775-800 kgs (presently 675kgs, to heavy for a bike powered vehicle)

The G60 produces around 160BHP as standard, but will be relatively easy to get upto around 210bhp and should, as you say, bolt onto the Audi box... The engine will produce more torque than BHP and the peak torque should appear nice and low down in the rev range, making for a nice punchy accelerator at most speeds... 8) To get the G60 engine upto this kinda power, you need to change the pulley on the supercharger for a 68mm pulley and couple it with a decent chip (I'd recommend an SNS chip) with a set of Redtop (Ford motorsport US) injectors and a Porsche 944 turbo fuel pressure regulator (3.5bar) This isn't a particularly expensive modification to the G60 engine and will give good, reasonably reliable power... 8) If you decide to go down the G60 route, make sure that you get the supercharger re-built before you do anything else to it!

The 2.9 VR6 (as found in Corrados) is around 190bhp as standard, but isn't as easy (read cheap!) to tune as the G60... It will however hit those figures you are after if you bolt on a supercharger to it, and kits are readily available to do this... I'll leave the rest of the VR info to someone else, as I have very limited experience of them.

Have you thought about the 1.8T engine? There's quite a few people dropping these into all sorts of cars now, and silly high power figures are being pulled out of them... Personally, I think the engine lacks character and is somewhat soul-less to drive, but with the kinda power figures some of the guys are getting outta them, it's gotta be quick! ;) :lol:

Also, what about putting in a 1.9 TDI engine? easy to get 200BHP+ and 300LbFt+ outta one of them, and it's cheap on fuel too! ;) in a kit car weighing 800kgs, that'd be a real rocket... I'm looking at dropping one into my MKI Golf GTI at the moment and that weighs about the same as your kit and should be a really mad little stealth pocket rocket... 8) :twisted:

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your project, it sounds interesting... Post up a few pics so we can see what it is that you wanna drop this engine into... 8)

Cheers Henny, just the sort of info i was after, more inclined to go with the G-60 due to it being lighter as well.

Agree with you on the 20v 1.8 T no character at all, fast but a dull soundtrack.

Seen a G60 lump on Ebay which seems to have had some good works done it, so might be tempted to have a look at that.

Any knowledge of the 2.0ltr conversion from Stealth m/r ? , also seen some good stuff on the Bahn Brenner site, 16v conversions and a screw type supercharger which sound superb.

I will attempt to stick some pocs on the end of this mail

Cheers

I'd go with the G60 engine too. I am a die hard VR6 fan, I love it, but in all honesty it isn't the right engine for that car.

For starters it runs very hot and won't appreciate being mid -mounted and it's a bit on lardy side too.

Build a G60 to Henny's spec and you will love it :lol:

The Stealth 2.0 G60 engine is a fine conversion. I have driven a MK2 Golf with that engine and it's extremely powerful. An abundance of torque from tickover with an almight tusnami of grunt from 3500 to the limiter. Charge cool it (you'll have to in that car) with water/methanol injection and you'll be grinning like a chesire cat :lol:

K

:D G-60 it is then, how much am i looking at to charge cool ?

Thanks for the advice, just changed jobs and have lost the old company car so maybe its time to get back into a corrado again, that will please the wife :twisted:

Will let you know how the project goes

Cheers