Bullfinch

Coolant - spectacular leak, what to check

Well one mile from home on the A322 dual carriageway after a spirited drive up from Sussex the Corrado suffered a spectacular coolant leak. Managed to crawl home with a plume of steam trailing behind me. Just checked and the expansion tank is totally empty. I assume a hose has split. Any top tips on how to trace it? Also do VW still stock originals or are there better choices out there?

Could be any of one of them - I'd just pop the bonnet and have a look around. Should be pretty obvious where it went if you had plumes of steam :)

Various hoses still available from VW but they're not cheap - might be time to fork out for a set from the chaps at Roose Motorsport?

After a spirited drive home a few months back I split one of the pipes that connects the crack pipe to the oil cooler. Didn't realise that was to blame and took the front end off assuming it to be the radiator (as the coolant had pooled under the radiator) - only then did I realise what was to blame! So based on that my only tip would be to not ASSUME where the leak is - confirm it's location 100% before spending money on pipes / parts!

If the car is a VR6, I'd check the plastic 'crack pipe' which runs across the front of the engine which and are prone to splitting without warning. Your symptoms sound very familiar to an episode I suffered on my last Corrado. Top up the coolant system, start the car and it should be fairly obvious where the leak is.

Edited by leon263

Usually the small hoses in front of the block to water pump and oil cooler that split, they get very hot as they are so close to the engine so perish first, you can get rubber hoses that fit 16v engines from eBay and motor factors or silicone hose sets or separate hose lengths to size

I found the split hose. Forgive my lack of technical know how but its the big hose just behind the engine manifold. As you can see from the pic it's a fairly big split. Anyway now dropped off at my local garage who will order in an OEM part and fit it for me. As ever thanks folks for letting me know what to look for:)

That the pipe that splits off and goes to the header tank? Seems to be a popular one to go and I think it's quite expensive..... still at least it's one of the easier ones to get at :)

I'll be surprised if that hose is "only" £50 - I thought it was at least double that, and was one of the reasons people end up switching to silicone hoses.

I'll be surprised if that hose is "only" £50 - I thought it was at least double that, and was one of the reasons people end up switching to silicone hoses.

Was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to be the prophet of doom. I'd be expecting nearer £100, such is the way VW just seem to pluck prices out of thin air these days :(

And it's always the most expensive one that goes.......

More like the one that always goes is more expensive ;)

I got quoted £120 for a bottom hose and the top was NLA…again, why I went for silicone.

Buy once and buy well :) Roose sell single hoses if you ask nicely so try them first…they do rubber-wrapped ones that look just like OEM. Or go for a full kit! link

Stone

Good news:) The Corrado has been fixed and is back on the road. My local garage sourced an original VAG hose through TPS. Cost of the part was £52.30 plus VAT.