Sign in to follow this  
stevemac

Track rod & steering rack replacement proceedure ?

I have a bent track rod on my G60. According to the Bentley manual this is the replacement proceedure. Anybody know if I can replace the track rod with the rack still on the car ??

Tie rods, removing/installing

Removing

Steve, you can do it with the rack and engine in the car on a lift - i did it with a trolley jack and Its an arse!

First make sure the new Track Rod is 6 sided at the end where it goes onto the rack at 70Nm - Mine was a Febi MK2 Golf one from GSF (not sure if you are familiar with this company :) ) and it only had 2 sides, if it does take it back and get a proper one from VAG (£50)

You will also need a BJ splitter and a thin 32mm spanner, you can reuse the boot from the old rod.

1 - Make sure you can get the TRE bolt loose first then remove the boot...

2 - Allign the rack so you can get a spanner onto the 32mm hex on the Track Rod between the wishbone and the subframe and loosen it.

3 - use the splitter to remove the TRE and remove with the rod attached.

4 - To keep the tracking alligned you will need to measure the old one, if its bent your best to count the threads as you remove the TRE, you will need to do this anyways to get the boot off, best done in a vice

5 - Set the length of the new one up not forgetting to put the boot onit! and use the end to help turn onto the rack (use threadlock) - as I got mine fairly tight, the ball joint at the rack end loosened (as it should) then do up with the spanner making sure the end is allinged then tighten the end with a new lock nut and cable tie the boot back on.

i changed one on my old golf,and used a trolley jack,and it is an arse of a job,you either need little hands or a lot of patience

Supercharged, - thanks for the advice m8.

Story so far:-

I have removed the entire OSF suspension, OSF hub assy, complete steering rack & steering pipes.

Outer OSF CV boot, both steering rack boots, both outer anti roll bar links, front engine mounting, rear engine mounting, OSF track rod & possibly 1 of the steering pipes all need replacing. I've also managed to aquire a RS front bumper complete with mesh inserts, etc. :rambo:

Gonna be re-building this weekend.

I need to find a garage with "laser wheel alignment" equipment here in Birmingham (my car's too low for the standard gauges) - any recommendations ??

Beejeeeesssuuusssssss!!! :crazyeyes: What speed were you doing in that drive thru Steve?!? :shock:

How much of that lot was bent, and how much did you just pull off 'cos you were undoing bolts to see what fell off?!? ;)

Hope it goes back together as "easily" as it's seemed to come apart! 8)

Good luck mate... 8)

I was going at walking pace but the kerb stones weren't set into the road - they were conceted onto it !! They stand approx 12" high :mad:

I just caught the edge of the kerbing & damaged the bumper paintwork & bent the tie rod. The boots were already split & the OSF roll bar link sheared off while I was dismantling it all. Steering pipes were already a bit oily but the leak increased in flow after the event - I'm hoping it's just a weak seal between the pipe & pump which was leaking. Engine mounts were knackered when I bought the car just over a year ago - couldn't be bothered changing them until now tho :roll:

I'm on a mission now & I'm gonna fit my CAT bypass at the same time 8)

Found the source of my water leak tonight - plastic housing on the pass side of the cylinder head is cracked !!