Sign in to follow this  
Pau1

Supercharging the SuperCoupe (Chris's thread!!)

[align=center]This is ChrisVR6nos's thread!!!! (ok Chris? ;))[/align]

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

C6 SVR Would i be right if I assumed you've bought Paul Harringtons old car?

Yes, you're right!

The only photos I have are the one's that appeared in PVW in July '02 and they're too big to upload.

I will post some pictures when I get organised.

Nice, thought so. All the best in keeping her running perfect. Are you loving the car then?

Nice plate by the way...

Paul1,

I'm completely chuffed with this car. The Power is just astounding!

I've had it since Nov' 02 and it's already made a trip to Stealth to have the brakes upgraded. Plus I'm getting the Stereo + Speakers sorted next week!

In Pros are probably then next on the list.....

Hey C6 SVR,

I'm Paul's mate who stuck your number plates on, on the night you came over to but it, How ya doin'?

I've got the satin silver VR6 with nitrous on and have recently got the evolution Vortech V9f kit with ceramic pipes, cosworth dump valve, GIAC software, light alloy pullies etc. oh and an Ultra-lite (6lbs) flywheel for good measure!!!

There are a few things that Pauls car needed doing but in my opinion he didn't ask enough for it! as the charger kit was £4500 & the 6speed gearbox is a semi-helical cut close ratio gear set not to mention the motorised throttle body etc etc etc!

Chris

P.s. I have plenty of pics if you want them! :D

Hi Chris,

Yeah I remember - hope you're well.

I've mainly been doing cosmetic mods to the C - Don't worry no drastic body kits or anything more like Audi TT gear knob, etc.

Most recently full black leather electric Recaro interior, which I love.

I'm curious as to what you think work should have been done to my Corrado. I've sorted the brakes by the way. Your car sounds a bit quick btw what sort of power is it kicking out?

Andy

Andy,

A pic when we were down at Bruntingthorpe. remember those times were poor 'cos we could only find 95octane fuel on the way there and the ECU is mapped for 98.6ron so don't use anything other that Optimax if poss otherwise problems will arrise in the long term.

Andy,

Well power wise, it's not been on the rollers but i could keep up with yours from standing to 125mph door handle to door handle whitch i was surprised at but happy with using 75bhp jets on the nos system but his torque pulled away from me after that :-( but i have this sexy new polished V9f now aswell so who knows, around 400bhp possibly.

Your pipes never blown off yet?

they were a t**t when that happened on a Saturday night when pi**ing on a scooby or EVO, so embarrasing!

I needed a dump or re-circ valve to stop it stalling at tickover after being on full throttle, this is a recogniset thing and Vortech have brought out a Mondo bypass valve to cure this, that Quaife gearbox was about £2500 you know! I made the 6speed quick shift for it but made it a little too quick by a couple of mm so it catches between 5th & 6th, how do you find it?

Hi guys - interesting hearing about the supercharger upgrades... keep us all posted!!

Oh and if you could post any more pics you got that would be great!! - of either car!

Cheers

Steve

Quality! keep em comin!!

Dont spose you have any of the engine/ charger etc do ya?

Thanx again!

Either of you gonna be @ inters - would love to see these up close..

I need a web site bit have no idea where to start 'cos i have some great stuff to share and impart, knowledge is power after all! i'll see what pics are there, any in particular Steve?

Chris,

Your C looks class.

Are those Kahns?

Plus, did you do the polishing yourself I mean the charger and the inlet manifold, etc?

Looks really impressive.

Looking at the picture of my Corrado outside Pauls' house, I don't think I want in-pros after all - I just want some standard rear clusters in vgc. I don't like my rear cluster as they are at the moment i.e. colour-coded.

Andy

Thanx Chris - the charger looks very nice!! How much did it cost (if you dont mind me asking!), and is the the 'bolt on' kit, or will you be changing internals too?

Pics wise - anything you have of tidy corrados really - as you say knowledge is power and the more knowledge and ideas i can build up before buying my corrado this summer, the better!!

If its easier - mail me:

mailto:[email protected]

Thanks again.... :D

the charger was bought like that, paid a little extra and that is the result.

The rear lights aren't red, we just sprayed red laquer on them in toe back lane, it will rub off with thinners! there you go, i've just saved you hundreds lol!

The wheels are FOX6 with 215/40/17 but have been replaced since that pic to 205/40/17 which reduces the side wall a bit and gives better handling but a rougher ride! I started a little polishing on your charger but quickly got fed-up so that's a job you can finish mate lol. what you done with the front seats? I want some!

The previous posts regard price however you can take a view of vf-engineering.com & look at the Corrado VR6 kit and the price, remember we usually pay in pounds what they pay in dollard plus there is import duty of around 14% then vat to add this can take the price up considerably:

Corrado VR6 MODELS

psi hp Price

Corrado VR6 2.8 / 2.9 (1991-1997) US / EU model

172 / 190

Stage 1

6.0 250 / 260 $3500

Stage 2 stage 1 required

8.0 280 / 290 $1000

Stage 3 not determined

Optional polished finish supercharger

$ 125

Optional 2 year unlimited warranty extension

$ 150

Andy should have the receipt for his from Paul for £4500, is that right Andy?

I have a dealer account with the nitrous systems and the Vortech chargers and would be willing to do a special deal for you and even more if a few could get to gether for a group buy!

Email me if needed mailto:[email protected] or 07930507545(T-mobile) anytime

Chris, you star, I've been wondering about those ever since I noticed the standard prop buckling under the weight of the V. heavy C bonnet!

Are they a straight bolt on or do you have drill holes?

Cheers

Kev

Chris,

Did you find it necessary to unbolt the charger to polish it or were you just doing the visible areas?

Sounds like a long job but I may get roung to it.

Oh yeah, my old seats are with CMS in Derby.

Andy

Can you not run the air filter down through the carbon can hole?

Couple of charger questions:

What would you estimate the total cost of fitting a SC to be?

Easy enough DIY job for a semi-skilled home-mechanic?

Reliability? My main concern (other than finding the cash! lol)

So in brief:

Kevhaywire, yes you have to drill 1 hole each side of the bonnet, dead easy but be sure to hit the double skin part, thats it, done.

Andy C6 SVR, I just polished the easiest to get at part to see how hard it was to polish it up by hand, it was hard, a die grinder & ploishing mop is needed. I want leather seats but have little money spare at the moment, just thought it was worth asking.

VR6, if your ref is to the previous pic, iwas going to do that but thought may aswell wait 'til the charger goes on then everything will change.

The kit costs £2200 trade price for the bare kit without shipping or fitting and i know companies often charge £1000 for fitting & set-up & installing the re-mapped ECU. You will pay more for the polished item & any of the juicy extras you may fancy. anything over that is what profit they need to make, but it makes a huge difference and the fun factor is worth it!!!!

Installation is quite straight forward although i didn't get any instructions I believe a retail customer will get a full fitting guide and a good 8 or so hours for a reasonably aware entheusiast with basic tools.

Reliability shouldn't be a problem as the Vortech charger is recognised as 'Bullit Proof' in the industry and as long as you have good fine air filtration and a quality oil supply, you will have long & happy times.

ANDY, you need to change your K&N filter 'cos it's split and you should get a pre-filter such as an 'outerwears' pre-filter as any small particals will make a good grinding paste when mixed with oil that is lubricating the bearings!!!

Sick of typing now! :?

I know we're getting off the topic of in-pros (really like the smoked version by the way and wonder if they'd suit my Corrado's colour) -

Chris - what is it you do for a living 'cos you sound very clued up! Ever considered fitting a boost gauge to your SC? I see vf-engineering make one.

Andy