Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

rear coilover problem

The rear spring plattforms on my spax coilovers appear to be siezed on, they wont wind up or down

They were on the car when i bought it, so i've got no instructions, but they are supposed to able to wind up and down whilest on the car right?...or am i missing something?,

any ideas?

yeah they should,mine were pretty hard to turn,i would clean the threads as much as you can and soak them in oil

Need to get 2 new coilovers now...o dear

Coated them in loads of wd40, then tryed the coilover spanner on them, wouldnt budge, then put part of an old exhaust pipe over the spanner for more leverage, all that did was rip chunks out of the plattform, and bent the spanner,

So the only option i had left was to use some plumber stilsons (big ones) on them, and they are siezed on so much that ive atchully twisted the whole shock

£299 for 2 rear spax coilovers.....o dear

Can you not buy replacement collars?

Would be able to cut the old ones off, clean up the threads and then add the new collar.

That's probably too simple though and if they were available, the new collars would be £300 a piece.

had a simular problem with my avos, i ground the platform off and fitted some new ones, i was going to surgest this, then i saw your other pictures,

looks quite nasty :?