Sign in to follow this  
aposegil

Tip of the Day - Brake fluid

biggrim > try a product called "plusgas" this is very good for this kind of application and make sure the spanner is a perfect fit on the nipple too. :lol:

Got mine in to the AA garage joined onto my work today and got them to stick in some 5.1 (F.O.C. I might add) and they could only bleed 3 pipes as the bleeding nipple on the front passenger side had seized.

Don't want to worry u too much but AFAIK you're not supposed to mix different brakefluid grades in the same system. i.e.you will currently have dot4 in the part of the system that u couldn't bleed !!

So far as I'm aware when the brakefluid grade is changed - the WHOLE system MUST be bled, even if that means replacing the caliper that u can't bleed.

IMO - stick with dot4 brakefluid - dot5.1 is only required in very extreme circumstances - such as racing cars, etc.

For anyone else considering changing to dot5.1, my advice is dont - stick with the grade that the system was designed for - dot4 !!

demon tweeks sell replacement bleed nipples with one way valves built in great if you have no mates :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Got mine in to the AA garage joined onto my work today and got them to stick in some 5.1 (F.O.C. I might add) and they could only bleed 3 pipes as the bleeding nipple on the front passenger side had seized.

Don't want to worry u too much but AFAIK you're not supposed to mix different brakefluid grades in the same system. i.e.you will currently have dot4 in the part of the system that u couldn't bleed !!

So far as I'm aware when the brakefluid grade is changed - the WHOLE system MUST be bled, even if that means replacing the caliper that u can't bleed.

IMO - stick with dot4 brakefluid - dot5.1 is only required in very extreme circumstances - such as racing cars, etc.

For anyone else considering changing to dot5.1, my advice is dont - stick with the grade that the system was designed for - dot4 !!

Oh shit!!!!

My top tip for undoing bleed nipples is use a socket not a spanner. If it obvious that the bleed nipple hasn't been moved in ages, I have a blow torch that I apply liberally and a can of freezer spray. Usually a few heat, cool cycles does the trick.

If that fails, I like to get hold of it with molegrips because there is no slack in the grip of the nipple (?). Moving the grips slightly in both directions for a few minutes can get the nipple to start moving.

As for mixing brake fluids of different grades, on the bottle it says what they are compatible with, you can stick 4 in with 3 etc. But for the cost why bother? The only one you cannot mix is silicon.

I once saw the fluid in a Granada tested, it boiled at 104 degrees :!: It must have been nearly all water. That's the reason for replacing every 2 years. The water absorbed by the fluid lowers the boiling point. When the fluid boils the pedal goes spongy and you lose the brakes. The water can also start corrosion in the calipers, not what you want with VW calipers being prone to that anyway.

Gavin

Don't want to worry u too much but AFAIK you're not supposed to mix different brakefluid grades in the same system. i.e.you will currently have dot4 in the part of the system that u couldn't bleed !!!

Dot 5.1 is compatable with all dot 4 brake fluids so there's no problem with mixing them...

The only thing which will happen is that you won't get the benefit of the full temp resistance from the DOT5.1, so be careful not to hammer the brakes too much until you get it bled through properly... 8)

Dot 5.1 also is not hydroscopic (ie it doesn't absorb water like dot 4) so, in theory, it should last longer too... 8)

Oh, and most GOOD car parts shops sell it, including Halfords... 8) Just make sure you get 5.1 NOT 5 as 5 is silicone based and will rot the seals inside your brake components! :crazyeyes:

It's the front passenger one but if I was replacing one side, I'd most likely do the other too. The Mk3/4 conversion is for the back end is it not?

there's also a straight MKIV caliper swap for the rears which uses the original spec disks and pads, Joe M... That's what I run on the rear of my C...

Grim? you have PM.... ;)

Sorry, im sure I seen Mike mention in another thread he was putting 288's on the front, thats why I mentioned that.

Ive actually got a set of mk4 rears to go on at some point as well but the current calipers are fine so is it worth having them fitted? Do they offer any performance benefit or do they just not seize as easy?

AFAIK, they don't offer any performance increase, but they look nicer and are a totally different design and so shouldn't seize up like the MKII based ones do... Oh, and they're alloy, so they're slightly lighter... :roll: :lol: