lazmuler

Corrado - golf mk5 dash swap.. help needed.

This is lengthy but please bear with me.. I'd like to do a golf mk5 dash swap into my 1991 16v corrado. I've seen it done before so i know fitting it is possibe (as in here http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4029474-2-0T-Corrado-FSI-Extensive-Built-Page-Pull-Up-a-Chair/page3). In my case however i wont be swapping engine at this time due to financial reasons. When i get to swapping the engine it will be a 1.8l 20vt from a mk4, preferably on MS ecu. Right now i have access to a really cheap mk5 dash complete with all its guts intact including steering column, centre console, climatronic ac and wiring. The dash is from a mk5 1.6FSI auto.

My question is.. what other parts must i buy with the dash to ensure that everything remains functional? I know there are canbus issues to deal with so considering that the corrado is ancient, i'll be installing a mk4 engine & mk5 dash.. has anyone attempted this before and is it feasible? I need all the help i can get before i spend any money.

Never seen anyone on here attempt a MK5 dash into a Corrado before.. so good luck and be sure to share your experiences along the way!

You are best off finding a complete breaker mk5 and taking everything and I mean everything from the mk5 and fit it into a Corrado shell. You will have bodges everywhere to get it to work properly. You will also have issues to get things like the speedo and rev counter to work as they work off canbus and you will struggle to get them to work in a stock Corrado, let alone confusing the situation with having a 1.8t.

You could save yourself the issue by getting a broken mk5 gti, strip it and move everything, complete wiring loom and all and grafting it in. That will be hugely simpler and have a much better end result.

Just my opinion though. Do what you want, but I know how I would approach it.

Well, i finally decided to buy the dash either way, but as Sean_Jaymo says, the canbus monster is a tough one to deal with.. especially for the speedo & odometer. If all fails i'll redo the corrado gauge cluster PCB and replace the mk5's with rado internals. Can anyone here confirm what i need to get the climatronic system working (without AC)?