Orkius

Uneven brake pad wear

Hi everyone

just relaced the front pads at the weekend as they were looking low. i found that there was quite a diffence in wear between the inner and outer pads each side. also they were different side to side too.

what could be causing this?

the photo shows passenger side on the left, drivers on the right both with the outer pad on top which are worn thinner.

any advice appreciated

photo shows20140202_124345.jpg

Were the calliper sliders free moving for the whole duration the pads were in the car?

Tbh those pads have been on since i bought it but the brakes have appeared to work fine.

Is that the 2 pins that the caliper bolts on to? Those seemed to be free moving however the rubber bellows on one of them was completely split and the others were beginning to crack. Are those supposed to be full of grease then?

No, not full of grease.

The pins should be clean and free of rust. Without the pads in place, the caliper should slide easily on the guide pins to equalise the forces on both sides of the disc, otherwise you end up with pads wearing unevenly. Obviously a damaged dust seal will let the pins corrode and get sticky.

RB

It's possible that as the outer face of disk gets more spray and rusts when standing that rust will then help to wear the outer pad more, this will be worse on a car that spends more time standing.

thanks for the advice guys

Mine is used daily so doesn't often sit for long periods. so i think i will look out for some new dust covers and make sure that those pins slide nice and free.