Danny Ess

changing back to a VR6 sump from an R32 sump

Hi. not sure if this is in the correct thread, could someone move it if thats the case please?

Anyway. My VR6 has a MK5 R32 sump (along with all the other stuff that it needs to make it work). Anyway i have a hole in it (small one so drops of oil every now and then). new sump from VW is £200+ when i went. Seeing as a VR6 sump from GSF is about £70 i was wanting to go back to that as even if i smash it it's only £70 rather than £200 each time.

I'm going to have to get a garage to fit it all so want to try and get everything together and just let them fit it.

So what is needed (part numbers would be great if anyone has them so it's easier to get them) to get my VR6 sump back. Unless anyone has done this 'modification' and has a spare r32 sump somewhere? :D

The sump is aluminium yes. I don't know any garages that do aluminium welding that's all but it probably would work out cheaper that way.

On my phone so cant really get you part numbers, but youll need an original oil pump as the r32 one is obviously shorter, and a new gasket. Thats about it provided your sump bolts are not rounded.

You could post it to Michael at MB motorsport in Gateshead (garage I use) he is very good at Ally welding and well priced too. I shouldn't think he'd charge more than an hour for doing it so about £30-40 tops.

Cheaper than changing the rocker and pump if you can afford to have the car off the road for a couple of days.

Pm me if you want his number

Cheers

Ron

think in the long run if your car is lowered then its worth changing to the steel sump, I don't remember hitting my new sump but its got score marks on it already, they don't take much to break compared with the steel ones which will just dent and not leave you stranded.

Is it just a case of taking the old one off, taking the r32 oil pump off, fitting standard pump, fitting new vr6 sump? or does other stuff have to come off aswel?

Went the other way on mine a few weeks back. That's all, but you'll also need a gearbox inspection plate to cover the hole in the flywheel end of the gearbox - the R32 sump is too close to leave this fitted so it'll have been removed.

Stone