Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

not good

as usual somethings gone wrong with my corrado yet again :wink: , after doing a top end rebuild on my 1.8 valver it seems the bottom end has pasted its sell by date. Took the car out for a spin, oil light came on and beeped then turned off again when i accelerated so i carried on driving. After a few minutes the oil light came on again but this time wouldn't go off, then came a banging noise from the engine bay, so pulled over to realise it was coming from the bottom end somewhere, anyway the car still drives and revs through the range fine, but has a loss of power and makes an awful clanging noise. My mechanic recons it will be one of the rods has broken, can anyone explain this to me, or any ideas what the problem could be? Even though i really want to keep the corrado, it seems to proving very unreliable (most likely down to the no. of bodging clowns who owned the car before me) and i'm seriously considering selling it once its sorted :( :cry: .

thanks Bobby

if i were you id get the sump off asap,or maybe drain the oil and check for any metal fragments,but i wouldnt be starting her up again just yet

i'l drain the oil when i get home then mate, if its got metal fragments i'm guessing its shafted (dead)? hopefully got a cammed lump and gearbox lined up with a new loom to replace the old messed about one, just gotta find some money to pay for it and to get it dropped in. Any ideas what i should be looking for when buying the new lump,signs of wear to look out for?(its already out of the donor car). Am i right in thinking the head of my lump is still usable as its been rebuilt about 200miles ago and has already been port and polished. :?

i'm thinking get the cammed lump dropped in along with gearbox and new loom, then keep a look out for a turbo technics kit and a two litre bottom end and build up a spare engine with a bit more punchusing the head of my engine thats coming out, what does the turbo technics kit include (i know they are hard to get hold of). thanks :mrgreen:

you dont want a TT kit the turbos too small. You want a T304E onthere. Get aATP manifold from the states also with the lower compression a 2l would be favourable for better low end.