Jamie

Gearbox oil

Just a quick one - seeing as SMX has been replaced, which is the correct oil for a VR6 gearbox? Syntrans 75 or Syntrans 75/90?

Redline MT90 is usually the recommended gear oil mate. Available from Opie and you'll get forum discount too. :thumbleft:

Just a quick one - seeing as SMX has been replaced, which is the correct oil for a VR6 gearbox? Syntrans 75 or Syntrans 75/90?

Castrol syntrans transaxle 75/90

Castrol website is your friend just punch you reg no in.

I chose this over the redline stuff last year. Bough from opie off ebay

It's the correct vw spec.

Edited by delfinis38

Cheers chaps. I done a bit of research and found MT90 and Syntrans both recommended so decided to go for the Castrol as it's cheaper. You can get it from Halfords as well so it's convenient and even with the forum discount it's still cheaper than Opie when you add the postage on. Just didn't know whether I needed the straight 75 or the 75/90.

Do they sell it in halfords. I bought some then took it back because it wasn't the transaxle stuff which is different spec. It's not the multivehicle stuff that halfords sell but I guess it would do. You need 2 bottles.

Opie sell it for 21 quid delivered on ebay the correct stuff is syntrans transaxle not multivehicle

Edited by delfinis38

Is that correct Delfinis? Everything I've read on here and other sites says to use MT90 or Castrol SMX-S which is now Syntrans Multivehicle...

http://magnatec.castrol.com/en/oil-selector.html Castrol oil selector punch your reg in.

Castrol syntrans transaxle. I guess its the same stuff but to VW spec. the pot in my garage says something like vw 501 whatever it is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Syntrans-Transaxle-75W-90-Synthetic-Transmission-Fluid-75W90-1-Litre-1L-/181234163972?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2a3265e104

Edited by delfinis38

That's all I've got in mine Castrol Syntrans GL4 full Synthetic gear oil 75/90 ,

says it's full synthetic gear oil, smooth gear changes even at very low temps,

I've had this in mine for a few years now and had now problems.

I've just found this (The Difference Between GL4 and GL5 Gear Oils)

Here's the link:

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Hope this helps.

Si