maff

Vr6 power delivery

I've done a fair old search today on the vr6 engines power delivery which seems quite different to my 1992 vr6.

I've just sold a 1993 vr6 and it had a good old kick from 4000 rpm like all of my corrados have had and in comparison what i have now is what feels like loads of low end torque, (like loads compared to the standard 93 car) from 1500 rpm but i don't get that surge, kick at 4000 rpm?

Engine was rebuilt by stealth using 82.5 oversize pistons, bmc cda intake and a magnex cat back exhaust, engines now done 80,000 miles.

Its recently had a new lambda and fuel filter, also new plugs and filter and oil. I think one of the leads is arcing as i can hear a random sparking noise now and again with the bonnet up but i have no misfiring and a pretty smooth power delivery.

All i can think of is either the leads are robbing me of a few bhp or the high torque is balancing out the low standard cars power under 4000rpm?

I also did a 30-70 time in it the other day and got 5.2 secs which is not slow at all! but can't figure out why i don't have the fun top end i end that i always loved about all my old vr's?

Did you have the work done by stealth or have you bought it from someone who had it done ? . I'm no expert but I'm of the understanding that when you have work done there , they use a computer vagcom setup to tell the ecu how to perform . I've not looked at your members thread , so apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree . I have a super chip and pack 'A' head on my 92 Vr . During my recent starting problems I had a very young but execellent auto electrician sort it out for me . He said he had two mates with VRs and had done work to both of them , but the throttle response on mine was so much quicker than theirs . Same car but with different mods , produces different responses I suppose.

Rob

You mean stealth would map the car to suit?

I know the previous owner and have even contacted stealth by email who confirmed the work, but perhaps the fact it was done in 2005 then maybe they didn't do any software work on it?

Just can't get my head around the linear power delivery as all the others I've had have took off at 4000 rpm. The low down grunt is v very good though so maybe that is masking it?

Your responsive car compared to other vr's maybe the head work perhaps?

Dizzy, might invest in new leads and maybe a cap but I've heard the caps are not cheap!

Thought it would be dizzy being a 92 just check the dizzy cap if there is no obvious crack's (why would there be) it may be the lead's that need closer inspection Matt.

Yeah cheers clumpy, will be buying a new set of leads and I can't see a record of the car ever having a new distributer cap so might bite the bullet and just get one.

Also read about the hall sender can be a problem in the cap so maybe I'm losing a bit of bhp through the ignition system

might be something to do with how its been mapped? don't know, maybe get it on a rolling road and find out exactly what the bhp is and then go from there

I've got a dyno for 198bhp/192lbft from stealth but that was in 2005 just after the engine was run in so will get it done again once the leads etc are replaced