Richarddarrenb

Blooming electric sunroof.....

The leccy roof in my rado has never worked, replaced the motor and switch with known working items, checked fuse, still nothing. I know it's getting power of sorts as it clicks when I connect the wiring and when I plugged a replacement in it wound itself back to the closed position as soon as I plugged it in (I assume the roof was open on the car it was removed from) it's not jammed shut due to runners as the motors I'm trying are not in situ they are in my hand as I'm trying em. Any ideas people?

Edited by Richarddarrenb

I recommend using the search , there's loads of info in there . I think the motor is confused at the position the sunroof is in , they need to be in sync with each other . It tells you how to do this if you type in sunroof problems or something similar

Rob

This is just a guess,

But close the sunroof manually if its already open or tilted on the car.

Connect up the sunroof motor, but don't fit up in position. Press the close button on the switch to get the motor back to known good position.

Fit the motor into it housing and try the switch.

This is just a guess,

But close the sunroof manually if its already open or tilted on the car.

Connect up the sunroof motor, but don't fit up in position. Press the close button on the switch to get the motor back to known good position.

Fit the motor into it housing and try the switch.

Roof is shut on the car

Motor is not bolted up to roof it's dangling freely

Motor clicks when connecting wiring but does move in any direction when switch is pressed

I haven't tried bolting the new motor up and trying, I figure if it won't move out of situ it wouldn't move in situ, would it? Though the new motor did wind itself back as soon as I plugged it in without me touching the switch, not moved since though

Right, well with motor dangling you would have thought it would work with switch and spin the motor.

Have you metered the connector to see if you are getting the right amount voltage.

You could also just power the motor on the bench, just to make sure the new one is fine.

Right, well with motor dangling you would have thought it would work with switch and spin the motor.

Have you metered the connector to see if you are getting the right amount voltage.

You could also just power the motor on the bench, just to make sure the new one is fine.

Haven't put the meter near it yet as assumed as it clicks when I plug it in that it's getting power of sorts. It's defo getting enough power to move as the new motor wound back of its own accord when I first plugged it in. I wonder if its not getting a switched feed? Any idea which wire to test?

Just to add, it's had a Clifford alarm at some point and I assume part of it is still there as the windows auto close as soon as the ignition is switched off. I don't have any fobs so can't over ride anything, if there is a break in the switched feed perhaps where the alarm is wired in perhaps this is the issue? I intend to find the alarm and remove it anyway as it serves no purpose.

There's a small cover which rotates 90 deg and slides over the manual closure allen key socket on the motor body; this must be in the closed position before the motor will run. Worth checking.

Also, undo 4 socket-head screws on motor body and remove the cover to expose the plastic gears which take the drive from the worm gear on the motor spindle to the actual winding mechanism. Take out the idler gear so that the motor is now free of any load from the winder, and then temporarily connect it back to the wiring in the roof loom. Activate the power and see if the motor turns - it should spin freely and constantly. I it does, the motor is probably ok. If not, it's not!!

If it passes that test, put it all back together with the idler gear and the manual drive cover in place, then reconnect to loom , but still not to the sunroof itself, and see if it will operate through all its actions. Run it through several complete open-shut phases, finishing at "closed". Then bolt it up and try to operate the roof panel. It should certainly tilt up and down at least. If it does, but will not slide, then the runners or the sliding mechanism need attention which means taking the whole sunroof cartridge out and rebuilding/cleaning/lubricating/repairing.

Good luck

RB